Graphic Design FMP Proposal "Help?"!! - URGENT

shabbzy

Hello Everyone.

I am a final year Graphic & Digital Design (BA) Student. (not 3D, but i do have a keen interest in it)
This thread is a simple request for help for my FMP - Final Major Project.

My current proposal is based on futuristic interface in relation to graphic design. Such examples are in Iron Man, Avengers, Avatar etc. My FMP is practically 'The Future of Graphic Design' and I based it on typography. Primarily because this is something that I am really interested in.

I started off trying to explore how the Adobe Creative Suite will be used in such interface, e.g. Illustrator. One is able to move around type, cut, rotate, resize and play around with the various options like you would normally, but all with your hands on a touch board, or hologram even. How graphics designers will be working in the future with such technology - in more creative and easier approach than what we have now.

This is where I get confused and stuck on. I don't know how I can further develop this idea. What more can I do other then trying to recreate the Adobe programs in such a method (Iron Man style) in relation to graphic design and typography.

I'm open to suggestions on said topic. Please try to be relevant.
I hope you readers understand what I'm talking about! This is really stressing me out as I don't have much time left and would be very grateful for any help.

Thank you very much.

Paula Scher has always hated using computers because of the mouse and keyboard. I remember watching a short film about her where she said she's always believed that designers should be using some kind of touchboard and working with the hands more, so it sounds like you're onto something.

Rather than designing a whole new interface, perhaps you could look at new tools that could feature in the new "holographic" version which are based on some old-school approach (this is where you'd need research from pre-CAD designers and artworkers).

Perhaps you could even just look at how you could streamline the interface and make current tools faster and easier to use, rather than designing a whole interface, which to be honest, without being mocked up as a 3D or After Effects visual, probably won't look too exciting.

I'd be wary of simply trying to fit this idea to create a holographic/gesture-based interface for designers into a final project though. It sounds like a final outcome, and I was always told throughout my FMP that you shouldn't be thinking about final outcomes, but should let the research dictate the outcome.

Thank you very much Paul for replying so quickly.

I'm just a little confused on some parts of your reply, I'm wondering if you could explain it more for me. The part I dont understand is when you said "perhaps you could look at new tools that could feature in the new "holographic" version which are based on some old-school approach". By this do you mean for example in a holographic "interface" I'll be using Illustrator and then I would swipe my hand across the "window" of the projection and then it would either move or delete, is that what you kinda mean?

This project has been going on for almost 9 weeks now and I only have a few weeks left so I got a little confused throughout my research and how to continue to go further on.

I'm really sorry for all these question I just need a little assitance, the tutors I have at University aren't really supportive. Their reply to my ideas are "and so what?" and then they would just go to another student and help them. So now I turned to the help of other Designers online to try and help me pass this year, I don't need a first just want to pass :(

NOTE: Can't edit previous post, so heres an addition to it after reading what you said again.
Firstly... Thank you for your reply!

To start off with, thanks for the first info. I'll put Paula Scher into my research, would be useful to know about.
Especially interesting that she believed that.

Now about the interface, I didn't plan to design a new one, I simple wanted to start off by implementing the current Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator interface, slightly upgraded to suit touch screen functions.
A further development was in terms of holographic interface. It will still be the current interface we use, just optimized for the future functions. And I edited my OP - I do have knowledge and experience on After Effects, which I also love using.
As for the 'final outcome' - Not something which I have a clear mindset on. Like how you were told not to think about the final outcome, So was I. However, I think we need to have some sort of idea to aim towards to develop our experimentations. Of course the final outcome can still result in being something different than thought. But there has to be something to strive for.

It seems like I wasn't clear, but my problem is, where I can take this research, development and experimenting with futuristic interfaces for graphic designers. What can I do more to it than just basically making it touchscreen enabled and holographic? Understand what I mean?

I'm already set in seeing how beneficial and easy such interface will be for us Designers.

I hope it's more clear now.

Thank you.

The part I dont understand is when you said "perhaps you could look at new tools that could feature in the new "holographic" version which are based on some old-school approach"

What I meant was the way we work now thanks to computers and technology, is quite different to how design was originally done. It involved a much more hands-on approach. By using a touch screen or gesture based approach to design, this would change how we worked again, and would allows designers to work in a way similar to how they originally worked. Maybe you could play around with the idea of creating a series of tools for an Adobe programme that work best with a gesture-based approach.

For example, being able to control the anchor points on a vector path would be much easier if I could drag each handle separately. I've always found it cumbersome to work with points using a mouse. Your FMP could even just be a series of gestures that you feel would speed up the design process. You could mock up a holographic display over footage of yourself or someone else using these gestures and the software following the instructions. It would result in a conceptual final piece, basically just asking "what if", but I think if it was done well and was thought out (time-limit permitting) you could get some interest from design magazines and sites.

Just focus on getting through your degree first though. You could always refine it later on.

Back