Graphic Design Facilities When Studying Online

Joy Elsmore

Hi there :) this is my first post on this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place!

I'm thinking of doing a Graphic Design Course next year. I've already done an undergraduate degree in Psychology which I enjoyed, but since I have decided I don't want to pursue a career in the field. I'm now 26, have always been creative and have been teaching myself to use adobe software, and given that I don't feel I need the 'uni experience' in terms of the lifestyle of living in halls, going out a lot etc again, and due to needing to work at the same time I am drawn towards an online study course, most likely the one held by the IDI. Other threads on this site have helped me form a judgement about this course, but one thing that concerns me is the lack of extra resources that I would have from studying an online course. I am wondering if by studying on a normal 3 year Graphic Design undergrad course at a standard university, students get a lot of access to printing resources (printers, print making facilities (e.g. screen printing etc)) or other facilities such as laser cutters or anything else?

Could I have some feedback from those who studied a standard 3 year course as to what kind of facilities they had on their university campus and whether they made the most of them? And from anyone who has studied predominantly online- did you feel a lack of extra facilities, and how did you go about sourcing printers or other physical resources? Did you feel disadvantaged because you didn't have easy access to them?

Thank you in advance!

Back