Graphic Design Evetns and Conferences 2012 UK

Hi Chris. You say there are plenty of events around. Can you give us some examples? We won't organise one if they already exist. I was really struggling to find any UK ones that didn't involve a lot of web design.

Thanks, Jen

I hear about quite a few from a small resource of the people I'm following on Twitter. I guess you just have to look in the right places. Check popular design sites/magazines. You'll find that most are likely to be based around digital topics, just because the industries focus is and has been focusing its attention that way.

What specific topics are you looking for?

There is a lot of work going into organising a decent conference and event, quite possibly more than you're willing to put in. And if you're willing to put that much effort in, then you've got far too much time on your hands!! ha

So far I have seen a minimal amount of design related events (on twitter, google searching). I'm sure its me going wrong somewhere but I should be able to find at least a few events (I can't imagine how they would get many (or any) people attending if someone who is intensely looking for them can't even find any).

At the moment we aren't even thinking about specific topics, but about whether its worth doing in the first place (which so far seems like it is). Then its about finding people who would be interested in coming even before things are set in stone and only then we can look specifically at what topics can be done. Sure, we do have some ideas in our head but for the moment its about getting the big frame sorted, if you catch what I mean.

....and I'm sure having enough time to post every day might also hint to having too much time on your hands ;)

They do happen, but maybe a little sporadically and in key cities.

Aye you have a point, but then again, taking 30 seconds to reply to a post doesn't require any where near the same amount of time, funding, contacts or know-how!

Hehe very true :) but I do think it gives a high level of satisfaction, as well as useful networking and seeing others in similar situations to you (ie: other graphic designers) which is definately worth the hours it would take to organise. In one sense, you work for X amount of hours a day, then have another X amount to spend however you want, so it's not even necessarily having too much time on your hands, but maybe using your spare time completely for something like this, do you think? :)

Sorry but can't help but feel this is all sounding a little vague and misguided. I'd expect a project like this to be handled by industry veterans with the appropriate knowledge and contacts to create something that appeals to a wide cross section of creative professionals. It would be a mammoth task.

I think that if you are going to organise an event (where only a few people are expected to attend) anyone can bring it forward. Of course, you need to be able to organise, manage, contact and much more, but if you have a group of people who want X project to go forward it can be achieved.

You can't say 'only pros can organise' because there are always going to be newbies (like myself) who want to give it a try, many will fail, few will succede, but it's worth a go if you want it.

Sorry, but I disagree with you wholeheartedly mcskillz. Gilmore is on the right lines. We're not trying to create something on par with E3 where thousands of people attend it's just an idea of getting like-minded people together.

Whilst we're on the topic of an idea, I should point out that it really is only currently just that, it's not had any level of planning involved so yes, it may sound vague misguided because you're looking at it as something which it isn't.

Also if you have the attitude of "oh that's just a pipe dream..." you won't get very far in life! :D

Must completely agree with Squiddy and Alex. It's just at a very early stage (obviously we're not going to spend a lot of time looking into/starting to plan something that might not be wanted/possible to do). At the moment, there seems to be a fair level of interest.

Having just finished event management, I know that effort is only required on a huge scale if you have to drum up interest that isn't already there...in which case you're probably barking up the wrong tree in the first instance. If we decide to pursue this, we'll be actively using DF to look for volunteers/delegates, etc so all constructive criticism will be much appreciated :)

Just FYI this page is ranked #2 on google for the term "Print design conference 2012" and #3 for "Graphic Design Conference"

Anyone going to the Cheltenham Design Festival in April? Good list of speakers including Sagmeister, Jon Hegarty, Adrian Shaughnessy. Quite good that you can pick individual sessions rather than pay for the whole thing, though the Sagmeister one on the Saturday is a bit pricey. Going on the Friday myself if anyone else is around.

The Cheltenham Design Festival Cheltenham Design Festival

How did it go Russell? Tell us what it was like :)

Just so people know, the first two posts have been changed in this thread as we have now realised that a lot of people and companies are reading this thread...! It includes a little bit of information on progress and current plans.

It's a week today Squiddy, so will let you know thoughts after. Had a good chat with Emma at HOW design live and gave my 2p worth. Be very interested to see how this develops.

Okay an update in regards to Cheltenham Design Festival. Went along yesterday and thought overall it was very good. Unfortunately I had a few jobs to tie up so only managed to go the the last 3 talks of the day, but was definitely worth a visit.

Starting off with the venue I thought it was good overall, the auditorium was not too big or small, but had no 3g signal; however not a biggie as I'm not a big fan of constant distractions from the illuminated screens of people tweeting throughout. The rest of the venue was a little small and not much else to look at/ space to hang out between talks. Though they did have a good little pop up book shop from Mr B's Emporium with a decent selection of design books, and a small exhibition from SuperDry; as they were established in Cheltenham.

The three talks I did manage to get to were Simon Waterfall, Nick Jankel and the 'Is there a future for design?' debate with Aidrian Shaughnessy, Marina Willer, Simon again and others.

Simon Waterfall (of Poke fame) was very entertaining, and quite random. Not a particular narrative to his talk as it covered everything from Sat Nav theft, the end of communication as we know it because of space debris, distribution of condoms in Africa and a fair few references as to how hung over he was. He's one of those speakers you'd like to hate but actually is very entertaining and informed on a number of issues.

Nick Jankels talk was all about releasing your creativity, and to be honest for me came across as too abstract and philosophical to have any real world application, but others found it inspiring.

The best by far was the Question Time style debate as it covered a variety of questions from the audience and others posted online. Was just shy of an hour and half but I think could easily have gone on for another hour or so without anyone minding. Aidrian Shaughnessy (who looks more like Patrick Stuart every time I see him) was very articulate and I kind of wish he'd had his own 'audience with' session like Sagmeister has going on today.

Two gripes and may not be representative of the overall event as I did only get to go to a small part. Would be really interesting for some of these design festivals to focus a bit more on the day to day running of a design business, walk throughs of some of the speakers favourite projects, and actually helping others learn from their experiences.

It does grate slightly the amount of mentions of 'Social Design'. Whilst I'm all in favour of designers doing their bit for 'the greater good' for the majority of working designers this is just not viable on any scale other than the occasional freebie for charity organisations. If you've got major paying clients like Google and Coca Cola maybe you can afford to devote a decent portion of you're working week to such ventures but it does smack to a degree of a conscience cleanser.

Final point I lost count of the number of mentions of London, like it was some miracle anyone would turn up to a design event outside of the M25. Hopefully if events like this and Offset in Dublin continue to be successful it will pull more design talks and events out of the big smoke and give greater exposure to the non London based creative communities.

Thanks for the feedback Russell. That does sound interesting and I think looking at what you specifically said about having more about the day to day running of a design business would be something I too would be personally keep on pushing forwards.

Back