Graphic Design Course - UK

j-irik

Hi everybody! Just recently I decided to earn my BA in Graphic Design and so I would like to ask you, if anybody knows about any suitable Graphic Design course.

Of course there are plenty of them out there - my problem is I've got a job and I don't want to give it up (need money :rolleyes:).

So is there anybody, who can give me any advice regarding distance learning (or anything like this) BA Graphic Design course - in the UK?

Thanks a lot!

J-irik

Hi J-irik,

Welcome to Design Forums :)

With regards to courses is it solely distance learning options that you're looking at?
Or, also local options? If so where abouts are you based?

Greg

Hi Greg,

thanks for answer.

I'm Leeds based, so I tried to speak to local unis, but without success. I did a research through the internet - but again, without any success. I already work as designer, and I am in the industry for more than 4 years... so I have the practical skills - just thinking about broadening my horizons and learn more theoretical stuff.

And yes, I am seeking only for distance learning options.

J-irik said:
I'm Leeds based, so I tried to speak to local unis, but without success. I did a research through the internet - but again, without any success. I already work as designer, and I am in the industry for more than 4 years

Do you have a portfolio of work to take to an interview to show your work over the last 4 years?

J-irik said:
And yes, I am seeking only for distance learning options.

Unfortunately I don't know of any long distance learning courses for Graphic Design, I looked into this myself when I was looking at my Uni options, and none of the leading organizations for distance learning did a graphic design course, least none I could find? It might be worth you contacting Careers Advice just to see if they know of any?

Other than that I think you're going to be limited to a local course...

Greg

Hi J-irik,

What's your reasons for wanting to do a design course if you already have a job in design?

My portfolio is here.

I went literally through any universities I've been able to find but I still hope to find anything suitable.

The reason for looking for studying graphic design is that I feel there is always plenty to learn - regarding the theory of design / communication / typo etc.

From my personal view and experience of a vocational University course (Graphic Media Degree) I would say your portfolio is very strong and you have a great understanding of the fundamentals to good design. I would honestly say if you had been on the course I attended you wouldn't have gained much theory knowledge just more experience on projects. Have you thought about traveling down to London to do a course that's more specific, I know some studios have them in the Summer (for anything from a long weekend to 6 weeks) you may find a decent graphic design theory course that way?

I'll have a quick scout around see what I can find out for you...
Greg

J-irik said:
The reason for looking for studying graphic design is that I feel there is always plenty to learn - regarding the theory of design / communication / typo etc.

Books, magazines, blogs and websites I'd say are your best bet for distance learning.

I think courses are good for finding people with similar interests but other than that are a waste of time (controversial? hope so :) )

Back