Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic Design Course - UK

Discussion in 'Logo Design & Brand Identity Forum:' started by j-irik, Oct 20, 2008.

1. j-irik

j-irik New Member

Hi everybody! Just recently I decided to earn my BA in Graphic Design and so I would like to ask you, if anybody knows about any suitable Graphic Design course.

Of course there are plenty of them out there - my problem is I've got a job and I don't want to give it up (need money :rolleyes:).

So is there anybody, who can give me any advice regarding distance learning (or anything like this) BA Graphic Design course - in the UK?

Thanks a lot!

J-irik

2. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hi J-irik,

Welcome to Design Forums :)

With regards to courses is it solely distance learning options that you're looking at?
    Or, also local options? If so where abouts are you based?

Greg

3. j-irik

j-irik New Member

Hi Greg,

thanks for answer.

I'm Leeds based, so I tried to speak to local unis, but without success. I did a research through the internet - but again, without any success. I already work as designer, and I am in the industry for more than 4 years... so I have the practical skills - just thinking about broadening my horizons and learn more theoretical stuff.

And yes, I am seeking only for distance learning options.

4. Greg

Greg Active Member

Do you have a portfolio of work to take to an interview to show your work over the last 4 years?

Unfortunately I don't know of any long distance learning courses for Graphic Design, I looked into this myself when I was looking at my Uni options, and none of the leading organizations for distance learning did a graphic design course, least none I could find? It might be worth you contacting Careers Advice just to see if they know of any?

Other than that I think you're going to be limited to a local course...

Greg

5. Jilly

Jilly New Member

Hi J-irik,

What's your reasons for wanting to do a design course if you already have a job in design?

6. j-irik

j-irik New Member

My portfolio is here.

I went literally through any universities I've been able to find but I still hope to find anything suitable.

The reason for looking for studying graphic design is that I feel there is always plenty to learn - regarding the theory of design / communication / typo etc.

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

From my personal view and experience of a vocational University course (Graphic Media Degree) I would say your portfolio is very strong and you have a great understanding of the fundamentals to good design. I would honestly say if you had been on the course I attended you wouldn't have gained much theory knowledge just more experience on projects. Have you thought about traveling down to London to do a course that's more specific, I know some studios have them in the Summer (for anything from a long weekend to 6 weeks) you may find a decent graphic design theory course that way?

I'll have a quick scout around see what I can find out for you...
    Greg

8. Jilly

Jilly New Member

Books, magazines, blogs and websites I'd say are your best bet for distance learning.

I think courses are good for finding people with similar interests but other than that are a waste of time (controversial? hope so :) )