Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic Design Alien

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Salma, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Salma

Salma New Member

Greetings! :tea: (i thought this emoji was fist bumping but tea is even better)
    I am new to the UK and am struggling to find work in my field. I have sent my CV out to numerous listings and haven't had a single response yet (over a month). I'm not sure why this is... Is it imperative that one has a graphic design degree in the UK to get a Mid-weight designer job? Or perhaps I'm not highlighting the right key strengths or maybe it's something I'm saying (or not saying) in my cover letters. I know that I'm good at what I do and my work hasn't received bad reviews from anyone I've shown it to. I'm really struggling to understand the lack of response. Is the graphic design market saturated in London? Should I just give up and settle for a shop assistant gig to make ends meet? I have been aiming a little high regarding the jobs I've been applying for so maybe just aiming for a junior position would be the answer? I wish I was more familiar with how things work around here and that's why I joined this forum, to get to know you all and the industry in London. I hope that this is the right place. And even if you have no answers to my problems I'd just like to say Hello Graphic Design Forum(s?)!

2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

Not at all, most studios are interested in your work and experience rather than any formal qualification. Some with prefer a degree, but it's not a necessity for many employers.

The design industry is incredibly competitive, and often it's who you know rather than what you know, i.e. you stand a better chance of a job if you already know someone in the industry who can speak highly of you and put you in touch with decision makers. This is especially true in London, where competition is even more fierce.

The UK has a strange rule where you legally have to advertise available positions, even if you have a candidate that you want to offer the position to already. This is supposed to make it fair for everyone who's looking for work, but from my own experience it often results in wasted time, effort and crushed dreams (*sob*).

It could be that you're applying for positions that have been filled weeks ago (with a candidate that someone knew through a contact) and they just aren't bothering to send out "thanks but no thanks" responses. Or it could be that you're just one of hundreds of applicants, and the recruiters are being ruthless with applicants and you're just not the best in that pile.

Perhaps you can show us some of your work and your CV and we can advise. People are unlikely to give you an honest opinion on your work, especially face to face but there's no danger of that here. We're all very nice, but we'll give truthful criticism because that's what makes you better. :)

Salma likes this.
  3. Salma

Salma New Member

Thank you Paul!

"People are unlikely to give you an honest opinion on your work, especially face to face but there's no danger of that here. We're all very nice, but we'll give truthful criticism because that's what makes you better. :)"

This is so true. I've been searching for a platform where people can be honest with their criticism. I'm mostly showing work to people who aren't designers and don't get any constructive feedback. So honest criticism would be most welcome.

I've got a few things up on Behance https://www.behance.net/SalmaPrice
    And one or 2 extra projects on my Creative Pool profile Salma Price-Nell a Creative Lead in Lewisham working at The Salsa

I'm busy working on my website at the moment and will post it on this thread once it's complete.

Have a look at my work and be as brutal with your critique as you'd like. I really want to improve and I'm a tough cookie so let me have it
    :)

4. cpking

cpking Member

You will get your required job soon.

Salma likes this.
  5. Cruzini

Cruzini Member

I've known a few employers request degree qualified. That said a colleague just employed a new designer with no direct background or degree over the 'too heavily qualified' candidates. (his words)
    She had no previous connections or relationships. I knew her but didn't realise she was looking out for something. So far she has proved to be good, bright & fairly creative.
    From that I would said just keep telling folks you may know that use GDs to help their business they may just get your name across for you.

Salma likes this.