gradient in Illustrator

Hi

I need to create a 2 colour (grey and white) gradient effect to a rectangle shape I have created in Illustrator and need the grey to be in middle and lighten /graduate both the top and bottom.

I can create a gradient starting from the top or bottom easy enough but am puzzled as to how to get it to start in the middle and fade out top and bottom?!

The radial gradient setting does not work well as it creates a circular effect which is not what I need.

any tips most gratefully received!

Thanks
Jo

can't you just play around and add extra tabs along the gradient box? (just pull more tabs down and slide them around and play with the gradient angle) I maybe barking up the wrong tree but mesh tool sounds a bit over kill unless you want it to look 3d?

can't you just play around and add extra tabs along the gradient box? (just pull more tabs down and slide them around and play with the gradient angle) I maybe barking up the wrong tree but mesh tool sounds a bit over kill unless you want it to look 3d?

You're right, I must be thinking of something else :p Just click below the gradient bar to add another colour. Double click this colour, make it grey, then double click the other ones and make them lighter. Then set the angle until the gradient is vertical...

Screen shot 2012-07-10 at 19.14.23.png

Hi

will give that a go!

I did fiddle around but never achieved a straight graduate effect out from the middle - it sounds like it should be simple but weirdly I seem to be having problems!

Thanks again

Pulling out new tabs is exactly the way to go, add a tab/stop and change its location to 50% then change the 1st and last tab to white and you can adjust the sliders to pull the white further in/out as required

Yes, gradient tool is set with two tabs. Just click in between the two existing ones to add additional tabs, then position them accurately using the LOCATION % box. (In your case grey tab in centre (50%) and white (0%) and white (100%)

Back