Google rankings

Becky

This is probably a really silly question...

But I have someone wanting a site but she said to me 'we can't change the landing page as it's on the first page of google'

The content is going to stay the same I'm only going to make it look better, so in theory it shouldn't effect the ranking, am I right?

If not what's the best way to go about the redesign without denting the rankings too much

Thanks!

wac said:

I thought as much, I didn't tell her that directly, told her I will make sure it won't hurt (If anything it'll help).

Now I can get on with some brainstorming, thanks :)

On a side note, try to minimise down time or testing, you never know when the site's going to get crawled.

wac said:
On a side note, try to minimise down time or testing, you never know when the site's going to get crawled.

Got that covered, but thanks for the reminder. Now I just have to reassure the client ;)

should be fine, Presuming the text is pretty much the same (keywords) you should have no probs. Bear in mind the use of H1 H2, H3 headers also

The text will be exactly the same. At the moment, there's no use of h tags *at all* it's all paragraph text save a few links.

Becky said:
This is probably a really silly question...

But I have someone wanting a site but she said to me 'we can't change the landing page as it's on the first page of google'

The content is going to stay the same I'm only going to make it look better, so in theory it shouldn't effect the ranking, am I right?

If not what's the best way to go about the redesign without denting the rankings too much

Thanks!

some search engines are affected by where you place titles and links in the content (ie top or bottom). its a small effect.

If you are just changing the CSS, then you should be fine.

If you are altering the HMTL then you run the risk of changing the ranking. Obviously the more you change, the higher the chance of this happening.

Sounds like a strange page if it is ranking well without a decent structure (no headings etc)!

Just to follow everyone elses comments, no it shouldn't make any difference if it's simple styling changes, bear in mind ALT tags if you're changing images, and page title + META description. If they don't have H tags at the moment, the addition of relevant H tags may actually help, a little.

Back