Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Instant is live?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Greg, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

2. wac

wac Senior Member

3. Greg

Greg Active Member

That just sounds annoying!! :<

4. wac

wac Senior Member

ha yes it sounds like the search engine equivalent of 5 year old autistic child. :p

5. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I have seen some of the augmented reality apps, but can't try one, if it was all linked together fine, but the idea of my phone going off constantly would make me consider getting a pager!

6. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

sounds like we wouldn't need to worry after about a few hours as our batteries would be dead :mad:

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElubRNRIUg4"]YouTube - Introducing Google Instant[/ame]

Not seeing it live here myself, anyone experiencing 'Google Instant' yet?
    Jazz will like this post > How To Turn Off Google Instant Search | Hobo :)

EDIT: Just found out you need to be logged into a Google account to see instant, not sure what to make of it just yet...

8. Levi

yeah I tried it, found it slower after just one search and then turned it off.

I've got some firefox add ins that load thumbnails etc and it was nearly 5 times slower to load up, with me bing impatient that was too long.

9. Greg

Greg Active Member

I'm not convinced on its claims that it saves users a couple of seconds, they can't speed up the thought process of a user typing in a search term, sure the suggest feature helps, but that was already in action. Seems like an opportunity to serve more ads, get higher impressions, dropping advertisers CTRs, and therefore getting a higher £ per click cost, and more profits?

10. Levi

Which for a business that ultimately revolves around ad's this makes perfect sense.

As long as they don't make it mandatory I'm fine with it being there.

11. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

this just looks annoying!

I pray they don't bring it into chrome! I like the fact that the search is built into the address bar, but to have it auto searching would suck balls!

12. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I found stuff I wouldn't have found if I had completed my usual search, by the pages showing up before completing the phrase :) was quite nice actually.

Definitely no slower for me :) so not complaining, only issue with it though is how little I search off the google site :) I usually only go on it to see the daily logo

13. Greg

Greg Active Member

Oh yes, no doubts there!

Changes the whole SEO game, longtail search terms you could rely on getting traffic may now drop due to suggested searches coming up first and preventing people typing the full term perhaps?

14. Levi

We will just have to wait on Jaz's essay (oh come on you were all thinking it) on the topic before finding out if it's any good for SEO or if we need to change our methodology etc. :cool:

15. Greg

Greg Active Member

I think it's just going to alter the types of searches the average user makes, perhaps Google suggest results will increase meaning more competition for the suggested phrases they create?

& yes Jaz's essay will be sponsored by Bing :)

16. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Lots of change (and extra work) for SEO companies, page 2 results null and void for instant searchers? long search terms void? questions now more valid? will it change what people are searching for...
    how will analytics show (haven't watched any vids if this is answered) what was searching for when clicked... etc.

17. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

I'm finding it very distracting, and double checking each letter for suggestions is annoying as hell.
    For the time being I'm disabling it.

As for the SEO, i'm currently thinking along the same lines as you Greg, this solution will further divide the companies that can pump 10's of thousands in to off site SEO work, to the avg. joe business in the high-street who targeting lower cost / long-tail keyword searches

Geoff.

18. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yep, can only see advantages for the top ad spots and top organic results, pushing 5-10 even further down the page, and out of sight.

I guess it all depends how much the average joe looks up when typing in their search query? If they can type without looking at the keyboard then they're more likely to click a link as a result of the live search before typing the complete search they had in mind?

Time will tell!

19. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

20. Greg

Greg Active Member

That's related to Adwords Geoff, but yes, as for SEO I think longtail searches will generally be on the decline, and Google's suggested searches will become more competitive!