Google finaly allowing "custom urls"

wac

Any Google+ members will know that the url to their profile or business page is made up of a absurdly long string of letters and numbers and letter. Celebrities had the option of creating a vanity url (e.g. google.com/huejackman) but this week they're rolling the feature out to the great unwashed.
I had several emails waiting for me this morning, advising me which of my accounts were now eligible for a custom url. Unfortunately Google have taken the liberty of choosing your url for you and for businesses they've seen it fit to include the url suffix (.com .co.uk etc) without the dots.

So one of my pages that was:
plus.google.com/u/0/b/104741532872168617317/+YoumaynowCoUk/about
is now:
google.com/+YoumaynowCoUk

Better? Yes but adding couk or com to the end of the name seems stupid, they should have just done a first come first served basis.
So not really custom urls at all but ones that Google choose for you that are a bit naff but maybe slightly more pleasant to print on a business card or something.

You also need 10 followers, 30 days active, linked to your business site and a photo added.... well I got one (two with new site) of them on mine lol
Honestly from my perspective it doesn't make much difference, I don't use my google+ site on any business material (except my new website when it's done) so the 'weird' custom url (which isn't if you think about it)
Think we may need to do another forum 'follow' our social networks thread so we can get the required counts on facebook/google+ etc...

I've just noticed that they're being a bit biased to non .com domains. All my .co.uk pages have names like NameOfPageCoUk which looks a bit silly but the .com's don't have the Com on the end.
par example google.com/+wacdesign

Well it's an American company and we all know that America made EVERYTHING and won EVERY war.... ;)

Back