Google Chrome out of Beta

No, no and god no.
The only thing thay have done is use webkit and built a JS engine around it.
So why should I, what have they done that is revolutionary?

Why not use Safari with it's dev tools, or Firefox with it dev tools and ad-ons?

If they had done something unquie rather than using an already open source rendering agent, then I would but what really annoys me is all the people who say OMG everything renders so much better. No it doesn't it's the open source webkit not Google doing something fantastic.

Stick with a real browser that has a furture IMO. Yes it is a tad faster but independant tests have shown that it renders at the same speed as IE8 and Firefox 3, the only noticable differance is when you have 30, that is 30, tabs open all running resource intensive applications, Gmail, google docs, playing video at the same time that sort of thing.

So if for some strange reason on a regular basis need to have 30 tabs open at once, that all need resource intensive applications to be run at the same time, and your comptuer is not already maxed out on RAM, then by all means go for it, but if you don't stay with the one you have got, I will be.

what can I really say more about it. jazajay has just said EVERYTHING that i think! (and more, i switched off from google chrome months ago)

As mentioned, I can't see anything vastly appealing to make me want to change from Firefox; despite from being a bit of a resource hog at times, I've had no bother with it, I find the bookmarking system much better than IE's, it handles very well and I must say the addon's are a saviour when coding.
So why switch?

I agree - Had it, liked it but prefered firefox.

It also didnt allow me to use the middle click then scroll - which granted I didnt know I even used but turns out I do on occasion.

One really good thing I thought was the multiple homepage screen, could load 6 (or so) pages into tumbnail like views. I thought that was a great idea and perhaps (hint hint) someone should make a similar page where users can select the pages they want thumbnailed and save a cookie or similar for their next visit.

Get on it Jazzjay!

It crashed a lot as well (beta).

lol
I'm pretty sure IE8 beta and Opera do do that already and they where they where released before Chrome {shudder}, so I may be a bit late :lol:

Hope you had a good xmas.

Jaz

Yeah I imagine it will be on the to do list soon, TBH, as the JavaScript performance has just been improved and the privacy browsing has as well and they where the biggys that needed to be done.

I like that Chrome uses separate threads for each tab, this way when I am viewing sites like iStock Photo the tabs don’t freeze and crash the whole browser. Overall, that’s the only real advantage I get out of it.

Kareem said:
I like that Chrome uses separate threads for each tab, this way when I am viewing sites like iStock Photo the tabs don’t freeze and crash the whole browser. Overall, that’s the only real advantage I get out of it.

Hi Kareem,

Yeah that is a nice feature of it, nothing more annoying than the whole browser window crashing when you have a few tabs on various sites open, or lots of iStock tabs from photo research! I wonder if new releases of Firefox and IE will introduce this as well...

I wonder if new releases of Firefox and IE will introduce this as well...
Yeah I imagine all the browsers will TBH, IE probably not till version 9, however it has been seriously delayed, so....... maybe in 8.

The reason Chrome could pull it off is because of the simple fact that all the others would have to do a huge rewrite to achieve it, Chrome didn't, where as TBH most users want better CSS, Faster JS, add-ons, and the actually noticeable difference TBH is not worth sacrificing other areas just to achieve it.

But it's like a price war I suppose, now 1 of them has done it the others will follow suit, especially now Google has stopped promoting Firefox IMO.

Jazajay said:
But it's like a price war I suppose, now 1 of them has done it the others will follow suit, especially now Google has stopped promoting Firefox.

I think that's why Google Chrome is good news TBH, whilst it may be a mashup of various other technologies/toolsets, if it's pushing what browsers can do and making the user experience better than surely that's only a good thing for browsers as a whole.

The sooner we see the end of IE6 the better IMO!!! :clap:

Unfortunately we wont see an end to IE6 for a long time, it's a catch 22 TBH, IE6 is used by big companies, now Microsoft will not do an automatic update on the fear of annoying these big companies, and those big companies wont upgrade for downtime to the company.

So MPO is that every other browser could be state of the art, Firefox4 will change a lot of people opinions IMO and may push it as it has a lot of business area improvements, because the big companies know that by changing they are going to have down time, staff getting use to the new interface, if they don't use IE7 already at home, upgrading time on thousands of computers and paying someone to do it, when they already have a browser that works for what they want it to, using the net.

They don't need RSS feeds, add-ons, most big companies don't need 30 tabs open all at once, connection speeds I imagine are high, due to the amount of computers needed so again load times don't effect productivity that much.

So until browsers get business focused, like Firefox4 will, however that wont effect it that much TBH IMO, new interface massive learning curve, thus loss to productivity, IE6 will be here to stay TBH.

I find Chrome ok. I like it because it runs allot faster than fire fox for me.

All tho they are a few things they yet to sort out.. like a problem with right clicking and opening in new tab, i can find myself clicking it 5 times before it realise's what im doing.

I'm just hoping they can get all the issues sorted fast.

I like it because it is simple and clean but I don't like it because it isn't firefox. Firefox has too many must have add-ons...and skins. So I don't really need it. I just use it as an addition browser to check for compatibility.

I personally thought that Chrome was a good little browser, I was on the test team for it (through a friend at Google) before it was released to the public beta, I personally prefer it to Firefox, only because Firefox seems to take forever to load up. My preference is Safari though as (i also did some testing on Safari 3.2 before its release for Apple, thanks to another friend in Apple :D). Just my thoughts :)

chrismitchell said:
I personally thought that Chrome was a good little browser, I was on the test team for it (through a friend at Google) before it was released to the public beta, I personally prefer it to Firefox, only because Firefox seems to take forever to load up. My preference is Safari though as (i also did some testing on Safari 3.2 before its release for Apple, thanks to another friend in Apple :D). Just my thoughts :)
That I agree with chris. Firefox does take forever to load up, I hate that...I think once you get even one app, then it starts getting bogged down...weird.

Back