Google argues UK privacy laws do not apply to it (iPhone user issue)

NCRPads.co.uk

Admin
Staff member
Google is trying to avoid a potentially costly bill in the UK for allegedly breaching the privacy of iPhone users by arguing it is not subject to British laws.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/10250801/Google-argues-UK-privacy-laws-do-not-apply-to-it.html
I'm starting to get sick and tired of Google in general, in the same way I am starting to feel about Apple. When these companies get too big they think they own the world, would love to see either of them come down to earth with a maaaahooosive bump!

NCRPads.co.uk said:
I'm starting to get sick and tired of Google in general, in the same way I am starting to feel about Apple. When these companies get too big they think they own the world, would love to see either of them come down to earth with a maaaahooosive bump!
Yeah, this would be great. I hate it when companies think they're outside of the law. Ridiculous.

Did you see Google had crashed last night? 5 minutes of downtime apparently.

Yeah that was on Friday, 40% reduction in online traffic worldwide as a result, just goes to show how big they are.

To be honest this isn't really just a google/apple issue, it's an internet issue. Not saying google/apple are perfect or anything but they are technically acting within the law as their lawyers see it and because of our stupid politicians leaving loopholes open so their friends can keep using them, seriously the conservatives should have closed the 'tax' loopholes by now... they haven't.
In this case the internet is a 'world wide' service and 90% of the time we don't actually know where the site is being hosted. Now the problem is that our politicians aren't really that clever and when they make law they make it so it's 'based in the uk' rather than being 'accessed/used from the uk'. The only way to resolve this issue is to have a 'worldwide' policy that all countries sign up to and that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.
To be honest, I'd say this is just the lawyers trying to get out of it with a random excuse, the likelihood is it will get rejected (well it better or our judges will be a laughing stock).

Levi said:
In this case the internet is a 'world wide' service and 90% of the time we don't actually know where the site is being hosted. Now the problem is that our politicians aren't really that clever and when they make law they make it so it's 'based in the uk' rather than being 'accessed/used from the uk'. The only way to resolve this issue is to have a 'worldwide' policy that all countries sign up to and that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.
This is actually the only way to solve it. It's no good going the way of "where is the site hosted." It should be under one global banner that everyone subscribes too. It's the only fair way.

yeah but it's not going to happen anytime soon, ignoring issues like china/n. korea getting all the major countries to agree to a set of privacy rules/restrictions is pretty unlikely due to the different ways in which the laws work. If I'm honest I doubt we'll even see something like this in our lifetimes.

What more can you expect when companies are groomed into the state of mind that they are legally able to reduce their financial liabilities in any way possible within the law? Why would a company want to pay more money than it needs to if they don't want to?
I'm not supporting this but it seems like a very two-faced ideology. People are happy enough for this kind of mind-set to be applied to businesses, until they effectively become too successful. Most business people I know do everything they can to avoid paying tax, so it seems quite strange to me that when a business gets too good at what is expected of them, everyone criticises them for it! Yes, it's unethical but it's the outcome of a system that encourages this behaviour, nothing more, nothing less.

Back