Good value at £2,419 incl vat

balders

I'm just pricing up a new work computer, I'm not paying for it but I would appreciate your view if the spec listed below is worth £2,419 of anyone's hard earned cash? 27-inch LED-backlit with IPS; 2560x1440 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i732GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM3TB hybrid drive (3tb 7200 rpm + 128gb ssd)NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5I've had a good look around and for the money it seems ok, seeing as the monitor is pretty decent. What do you think?

Why not just get get a Mac Book Pro, it's the best thing ever ;)
On a serious note, the price seems reasonable but that could hinge on the brand/features of the monitor.

I've heard people complain about 27" inch monitors, wishing they'd gone for a smaller one. Just a heads up.

Kind of limited to a 27" screen as its an iMac.The 2 models with 21" screens max out at 16gb of ram, 1tb hybrid and a 512mb graphics card.

Ah, I run the basic 21" model here and it fits my needs perfectly. Something to consider?

Actually, hang on, in the brand new iMac models, you can physically upgrade the stuff yourself can you?

You have to remove screen to get to the guts and that involves quite a bit of doing.You can only upgrade the ram after purchase with the 27", the 21" is a sealed unit.

Ahh yes, I can see why people love mac's so much now, everything is just so much simpler.... It's nice that they let you modify the hardware you've paid a premium for too! Imagine the PC you could get for that money :O
But on a serious note, I don't think you'll find much better offers anywhere else, that seems to be quite reasonable.

I was going to say thats a bit pricey... then you said imac.... in which case, you haven't got much choice in the matter... it's not going to be any cheaper

I had a fairly good look around and when you look at spec for spec against similar machines with average monitors they are all about this price. Unless anyone knows different?You are screwed if you want to upgrade after you by it. That's why you have to do it all apple side and pay over the odds (excluding ram on the 27"). But with those upgrades you should be pretty safe for 5+ years.I just need to justify it to my boss.

nice productive posts from PC fellas above. good to see.
thought about a previous gen 21" iMac if you want to upgrade it? 27" is blinding if you have a hangover or get stuck in your seat for 12hrs at a time.
21" is much more affordable and still a beautiful unit. probably find previous gens cheaper nowadays, but they only used to start at £999, and £1249 for better graphics card etc)

i had/have (at family home) the 27" imac. it's a beautiful machine. didn't pay anywhere near full price on old apple discount. but even if i did i wouldn't regret it.
they are powerhouses and have a much lower return/in-warranty fail rate than MacBook Pros (as you'd expect with a desktop)

if your boss is paying for it who gives a sh*t! haha - they probably want some expenditure for tax returns in april anyway...! (and of course i imagine VAT can be claimed back too?)

Tim said:
nice productive posts from PC fellas above. good to see.
to be fair Tim, it wasn't mentioned that it was an imac until a few lines further down... and as we ALL know there isn't any other way to get an apple product other than pay apple set price (or very near to it).
In Windows/Linux pc's that price is a little on the high side, in Apple pc's it's a preset price and you either buy it at that price or you don't....

Levi said:
to be fair Tim, it wasn't mentioned that it was an imac until a few lines further down... and as we ALL know there isn't any other way to get an apple product other than pay apple set price (or very near to it).
In Windows/Linux pc's that price is a little on the high side, in Apple pc's it's a preset price and you either buy it at that price or you don't....
I didn't feel it was necessary to mention it was a imac because that isn't relevant to what I'm asking.
I am comparing specs and prices, not brands. I didn't want to go down that road.
I've tried to find a simular spec machine, regardless of os, but couldn't.
Can you point me in the direction of a simular windows alternative?
VAT can be most definitely claimed back.

balders said:
Can you point me in the direction of a simular windows alternative?
ocuk - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/syscon_int.php?prodid=FS-281-OK
near identical spec (better cpu) and a desktop 670 gpu not a mobile 680 like in imac, the desktop will match or be equal
costs £1,585.08 inc VAT
a dell 27inch led ips screen costs around 600 inc
total around 2200inc so like I said a little expensive, it would be cheaper still if you could build your own (not always possible I know)
Dell probably do something too but ocuk was quicker to navigate :)

Ocuk was an example but can't say I've ever had issue with them.You've got scan and dell as other options, mine was purely an example, you don't have to buy from there

I've not had a problem with OCUK either, what was your experience with them wac?
Sorry Tim, I just feel that if you are paying such a large premium on hardware, you should at least be able to do basic things, like upgrade the hardware, quite easily. And it costs a lot more to buy a mac with the same specifications as a PC - I personally don't feel that extra premium is worth what you get but that's just my opinion. Balders you said that you didn't think it was relevant to mention it was an imac, but the sole purpose of this thread is to find out if that set up is good value for money, which entirely depends on if it's a mac or a PC! :D

don't forget a good warrantee. your boss might be happier with a mac because getting apple stuff fixed is ridiculously easy.
apple have business services for fast-tracking repairs and lending out machines in the mean time too, so bear that in mind.

saying that, desktops f*ck up a lot less regularly, so...

Tim said:
saying that, desktops f*ck up a lot less regularly, so...
See, I've found that to be the other way on. Always had bother with my desktop PC but none with the iMac. Odd.

Anyway, this has turned into Mac vs PC which isn't what the OP wanted.
Was the price you got through the Apple Store balders? Don't recall you saying. If it was, and you know a student, you could always tap them up for a lend of their nice Apple discount?

Back