Good value at £2,419 incl vat

I had a thought about this last night... have you considered renting/leasing hardware rather than buying?

I don't think it has turned into mac vs pc thread - both have their advantages and disadvantages and I'm sure we're all mature enough to discuss them without turning into raging 13 year olds ;)
I'm not a fan of renting, paying money for something that you'll never own just doesn't sit well with me. Leasing however, I cannot really see any disadvantages to, if all is done properly. Have you leased anything recently Levi?

No I don't lease as I like the fact I can keep my old machines and use as a 'render cluster', something I can't do if I lease. Plus I like to tinker with my pc's (mild overclock etc) and that wouldn't go down well lol. It's also hard to find what I want (matx/mitx mini pc's) via leasing it just isn't really suited to my current needs.
Not that I wouldn't consider it if I was a larger company and had more space/staff as it can work out more efficient with the upgrade cycles for a faster rig for working on etc.
I know a client of mine does and he's a sole trader like me so it really does depend on your requirements like I say.

Well, leasing is just paying x amount, usually per month, for a specified amount of time, at the end of which you will own the item in question. So you would still be able to keep your old machines, or have I misunderstood something? I haven't done it myself, so there is probably a lot of stuff, like modifying, that you can't do - until the end of the specific time.

well last time I checked leasing was basically renting the pc from say dell rather than the 'monthly payment' approach to buying it but it looks like some are now doing both options.
Dell for example give you the option to 'buy' the pc at the end of the lease or rotate the pc for a new one, well at least on the US site lol (lazy google search).

Tony Hardy said:
See, I've found that to be the other way on. Always had bother with my desktop PC but none with the iMac. Odd.

Anyway, this has turned into Mac vs PC which isn't what the OP wanted.
Was the price you got through the Apple Store balders? Don't recall you saying. If it was, and you know a student, you could always tap them up for a lend of their nice Apple discount?
That's a good idea I hadn't thought about. It works out about £138 less going through the educational shop, better than a slap with a wet fish. Almost brings it in line with everything else, I guess some things you can't put a price on.
I'll have a word with my sister who teaches art and design at a college.

would your boss not need biz details on the receipt?
it's also fraud if you buy as a student with student credentials and then claim VAT back through the business.
apple stores also get into trouble for it, so i doubt they'll sell with student discount unless it goes under your sister's name.

Tim said:
it's also fraud if you buy as a student with student credentials and then claim VAT back through the business.
apple stores also get into trouble for it, so i doubt they'll sell with student discount unless it goes under your sister's name.
I bought mine before starting my business as a student and used my student discount, then started trading. What happens then?

apple stores are supposed to give you receipts with student email addresses on. if you didnt get one with student email then potentially could get away with it, but still shows 'student' discount very clearly on receipt.
it is clearly against the law to claim student discount and then get VAT back. saying that... i guess this only matters if you get caught.

IMO opinion Apple prices are just absolutely ridiculous. The spec above is worth around £1200 anywhere else. However, I strongly believe apple products are very well supported, if an item break or you have issues, they have such an organised way of dealing with things which I'd pay money for an day of the week, so just remember you not just paying for the machine, Your paying for the brand and the support with it, and of course additional support if you need it.There's also their App Store, if you are a design or developer, then you in for an absolute treat with the selection of great apps. I work with a 27" at the office, and can truly say over the 3 years I've had it, it's probably the best machine I've ever used. I've also got a 17" MBP brand new with solid state, it's pretty awesome. Don't think I'd ever let it go. Not for a few years yet anyway.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back