• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Good Header & Body Text Fonts for both print & online readability?

I'm designing an ebook. Finished product will be in PDF. With ebooks, as you know, some users like to read online and others prefer to print them and read. Therefore, I want to select fonts for my section titles and body text that work well for both online AND print reading. Everytime I think I've found a good combination that looks great online and is easy to read, ends up being not very easy to read in print (and vice versa).

What are your recommendations?

In my view, I think a key factor is what font size you're displaying really. The difference between say an 8pt and 12pt font could prove signifcant. If it's smaller, perhaps stick to a thinner font, just to maintain the clarity of the shape, however, finer text can sometimes be a git when printing. I would also avoid any serif fonts where print is concerned.
I always say Century Gothic (perhaps bold in this instance) is a good all round font, but it is used everywhere, and the letter 'T' isn't kicked on the bottom in lower case form, which may upset some. Obviously everyone has a different outlook on viewing text, but this is one font I'd consider.

In my view, I think a key factor is what font size you're displaying really. The difference between say an 8pt and 12pt font could prove signifcant. If it's smaller, perhaps stick to a thinner font, just to maintain the clarity of the shape, however, finer text can sometimes be a git when printing. I would also avoid any serif fonts where print is concerned.
I always say Century Gothic (perhaps bold in this instance) is a good all round font, but it is used everywhere, and the letter 'T' isn't kicked on the bottom in lower case form, which may upset some. Obviously everyone has a different outlook on viewing text, but this is one font I'd consider.
First, I am print not web so my comments only apply there.
I can see where you are coming from with this comment, but I don't necessarily agree with you, I think they can work well and be readable depending on your choice. I personally am not a fan of century gothic, for the reason you stated - it's used everywhere. Also, I find it too fat! Don't go any smaller than 8pt if you want good readability, and if you have black text, make sure it's 100% black only not cmyk as you will get a crisper finish. (no haloing from many plates).