Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Day! :)

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Miss.L.Laurie, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Miss.L.Laurie

Miss.L.Laurie New Member

Hello everyone!

I thought I take the opportunity to formally introduce myself. My name's Leanne Laurie, I'm a 24 year old Graphic Designer tucked away in a sleepy little corner of South-West Scotland. I sort of stumbled upon this forum accidentally, what a great wee find! It looks very resourceful.

Looking forward to chatting to like-minded people, as my friends (as adorable as they are) grow tired of my 'industry banter' at times :icon_dunno:

Hope you're all having a nice day!

:icon_notworthy: Leanne :icon_notworthy:
  2. garywaiman

garywaiman Member

Hi Leanne! Welcome, hen! (a bit of West Scotland to SW Scotland!)

I live on the West Coast of Ecosse! I'm guessing you are nearer Dumfries? This is a great forum, I'm only a few days old here but you get some enjoyable chat! :)
  3. Miss.L.Laurie

Miss.L.Laurie New Member

Hi Gary!

'Cheers San'! I'm from Stranraer actually, so, at any given time I'm at least 70-odd miles away from civilisation... It had it's pro's and con's. Yeah really looking forward to chatting to everyone, picking your brains, and hopefully bringing some useful information to the table myself when required.

How long have you been in the industry? :)

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Welcome to GDF.
  5. garywaiman

garywaiman Member

I stop short of referring to myself as being "in the industry" as my degree is not design-related (psychology) and I have only been self-teaching for a short period. It's a long story which I won't bore you with but I am hoping to find my way into design slowly - it has always been my passion but for a few misguided years of overindulgence. :icon_Wall:

If you are interested, please have a look at my project in the graphic design critique section of the forum. :icon_biggrin:

Did you study in Scotland? How long have you been working as a designer?
  6. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the GDF.

7. Miss.L.Laurie

Miss.L.Laurie New Member

Well I'm sort of in a similar situation. Technically, I'm a painter that's moved over to the 'dark side' as my lecturer used to say lol. I was at College for 3 years (Ayr College) and came away with a HND in Art and Design, with the intentions of beginning my degree in fine art after the summer.

While looking for a part-time job for the summer, a local sign company offered me a job as a designer (I had some self-taught knowledge of Graphic design at this time, but not a lot) I worked there for nearly 3 years, and gained a wealth of knowlege! I have just recently became self-employed, and with regards to the business side of things, have -a lot- to learn! But that's all part of the fun, right?

Honestly, your work looks great! I would agree with the person that said the logo would look better vertically, but, then the cup would look out of place, I think it's still readable as is. Stick with it, you've definitely got some talent!

8. Miss.L.Laurie

Miss.L.Laurie New Member

Thanks Damon! Nice to meet you! :)

9. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.
  10. garywaiman

garywaiman Member

Thank you for the kind comments about my work Leanne! :) Let's hold up Scotland's end on this forum!
  11. Labanbrown

Labanbrown New Member

Hello. We're new here to. Based in Essex though - a long way from you guys! Small world though which is nice.
  12. spottypenguin

spottypenguin Active Member

Wohoo another Scottish contingent :icon_biggrin: East Coast here (the best part obviously, ha!)

Welcome to the forum :icon_smile:
  13. garywaiman

garywaiman Member

Didn't realise you are from Scotland, Penguindude. :icon_lol: Edinburgh? Fife?