Good books?

bigdave

Until now Ive used Dreamweaver for basic web work as Ive never really be one for coding. When DW gets confused I can just about read and edit enough code to fumble through building a basic site using tables but I struggle with anything more than basic.

Can anyone recommend any books on xhtml, css etc?

dedwardp said:
O'Reilly's the Missing Manual is good for CSS.
I second that. I bought this and it has learnt me a few new things but not much i didnt alreayd know so perhaps a good book for someone at your stage who knows basics but wants to branch further.

I also agree with the not needing to buy books when you can get the exact same information and more online for free.

HippySunshine said:
I second that. I bought this and it has learnt me a few new things but not much i didnt alreayd know so perhaps a good book for someone at your stage who knows basics but wants to branch further.

I also agree with the not needing to buy books when you can get the exact same information and more online for free.

I do like books though; nice to have everything organised out in front of you and there's nothing like sitting and turning the pages.

I find everything to be a bit more unorganised online and I'm not really a fan of reading from the screen, but each to their own I guess! :)

dedwardp said:
I do like books though; nice to have everything organised out in front of you and there's nothing like sitting and turning the pages.

I find everything to be a bit more unorganised online and I'm not really a fan of reading from the screen, but each to their own I guess! :)

I mainly agree with learning online because Im a cheap skate ha :p
I guess if I had more money then I would probably invest in books too rather than sitting staring at a screen for longer than needed.

I do like a good book, especially when it comes to learning software but when it comes to CSS or anything coding related books can fall a little short. Unless they have a companion CD you'll have to maticulously copy of reams of sample code and risk making mistakes.

The lessons on W3Schools Online Web Tutorials are really good because you get to try them out and play around with them and best of all, they're free!

A friend of mine is very happy about Learn HTML In a Weekend, 3rd Edition, Prima Publishing. Its well structured and easy, but you may want to give the Frame section a miss.

Hi, this is a bit different to the way you asked but if you already know some simple HTML then learn when to use a div id and class then get a good IDE with a predictive feature if your on mac I thoroughly suggest coda, the predictive CSS styles will help you pick it up in days. I also suggest you print out a 'CSS cheat sheet' and have a look at a 'CSS box model' maybe print this out too. I got about 9 books out from the library when I started, I didn't use 1. W3 schools is the only resource you will need. Google that too.

Best wishes, don't be a stranger, people are always happy to help!!

Back