Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good afternoon design forum

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Katlike, May 29, 2014.

1. Katlike

Katlike New Member

Hi everybody my name is Kathleen and I would like to introduce myself.
    Unfortunately after 10 years at the same company I have just been made redundant so I have joined to get some tips and advise about getting a new job as it a bit a shock to the system. The first thing I would like to ask is about CV do you think it should be kept simple or do something creative?

:(

2. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Hay Katlike,

Welcome to DF. :)

Sorry to hear about your redundancy.

Regarding CV's then in my opinion it's okay to be creative as long as it doesn't interfere with the information and if you can try to keep it less than 2 pages (preferably 1).
    People got shed loads of them and tend to skim read them so in my thinking..... keep it clear, concise and if you can add a little eye candy to make it stand out.

I've seen some "creative CV" round-ups and the net before and although many of them look nice I for one often can't make head nor tail of the info.

3. Michelle Duncan

Michelle Duncan New Member

That's a real bummer, sorry to hear that.

The style of your CV depends on where you are applying. If it's for an in-house graphic designer at a company then I think a well thought out and well formatted CV is enough. If you're applying to design agencies then going the extra mile to make it stand out is good. Like Scotty says, above all it needs to be readable.

4. romet6

romet6 Member

You might want to consider getting a nice professional looking template from GraphicRiver or at least look through them to get some ideas for your own work.

Either way you probably don't want it to look too simple.

5. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Hi Kat
    It totally depends on the job you are aiming for.

Due to so many CVs ending on managers desks, a lot of managers revert to a point based scale to make the call on who they should spend valuable time seeing and who they won't.

So keep it simple, nothing fluffy, main points towards the top, job roles towards the bottom and provide links to external examples of your work that you have done to back up the sections that you reckon you can do.

The more you sound like the ideal women in the heads of your future employer the higher points you will get and thus the higher chance of getting a interview.

If you go through a recruiter always ask to see the CV they sent before you go for the interview.

Recruiters will alter the CV to make you sound like the ideal person for the role. The problem with this is 9.9 times out of 10, they don't really understand parts of it, so take out important parts, re-word things to make you sound awesome.

The employer will then expect this.

If the version they send back is different, take yours printed out, and explain that the Recruiter has changed it and here is the real thing. The recruiter will respect the honestly.

However, take note of how they have displayed it, and 9 times out of 10 it will look better. So take the best bits of theirs; but, keep your content if it is more accurate.

ALWAYS ASK RECRUITERS FOR THE EXACT VERSION OF THE CV THEY SENT.

Hope it helps. :)

Jaz

6. wac

wac Senior Member

Hi Katlike welcome to the forum.

www.indeed.co.uk is a good site for aggregating current job vacancies from various sources.

Regarding the style of the CV, what was the job you were doing and what sort of role are you looking for now?

7. Hi Kat, welcome to the forums!

At this stage most of what needed to be said has been done so, however, I'd like to go over the CV and creativity issue a little bit more.

There is definitely something to making your CV creative and interesting to read. Colour, nice fonts, interesting layouts - great. The problem is that a lot of people consider themselves designers, to the point where they can make something look a bit prettier, and different, or unique, but they miss the primary focus of design entirely, and that is communication.

It doesn't matter how nice your CV looks, if the communication design is lacking, then your CV will probably be binned quicker than all of the 'standard/boring' CV's because at least they follow a convention that allows people to read the document easily. So, by all means, make it looks nice and stand out from all the rest but just make sure that you are not actually making it more difficult to get the key pieces of information from your CV as it will hinder your ability to secure interviews!

Great points regarding asking to see the CV they were sent and comparing it against what you have, Jaz.

Jazajay likes this.
  8. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

@Sean
    I know it happened to me recently(ish). The interviewers where really impressed with my technical side, and said that I hadn't added it to my CV. They also said it is good to see you are proffcient in JQuery. I know little JQuery and hadn't mentioned that on my CV; but, I have on my Linkedin page.

At the interview I corrected them on the JQuery and instead back up the fact I use Dom Scripting ( never lie that you can do something - be honest you can't and redirect to something similar that you can do - always get far more brownie points).

I also noticed the top of the CV they sent didn't match the one I had sent them.

Other recruiters have also incorrectly changed my CVs to match them to the employers job spec. But, have sent me them through before hand.

On this occasion, it was clear they had had an altered job spec; but, I hadn't seen it prior - which is dangerous to both the potential candiate and to the future employer.

So yeah always ask.

I also couldn't agree more with your point absolutly spot on.

@Wac
    Indeeds good - especialyl for keeping an eye out on if you are in the right salary bracket for your position. Reed is also another good one I find. :)

Jaz