glenwheeler.co.uk - Not far off...

glenwheeler

Hi Guys,

Been working on my site over the last few weeks, it's a personal site for all things about me, plus it's personal blog where I can talk freely about F1 Cars and design :)! My own personal space.

I've added lots of personality to it as you can probably see from the header that has been designed for it. The colour palette used on the site is taken from Lewis Hamilton's racing helmet which adds a bit more personality to the page.

I have a bit more styling to add such as footer elements, twitter feeds and am looking to add some CSS3 styles to the search box and links, and there's also some elements to create and then some content to be added and edited. Other than that I would love some feedback and thought's.

Check the site at www.glenwheeler.co.uk

Cheers guys

Hey Glen,

Don't have time to go in depth right now but just a few quick things.

The first thing that struck me was that I didn't really know what I was looking at. I think you need some form of name/identity and some info about the site.

The background doesn't repeat well and cuts off in higher resolutions.

I don't understand the color scheme. Red Titles, yellow menus and green dividers. I think you need more consistency here.

Menu looks off. I'd left align it instead.

I know I say this every time, but it seems like a lot people neglect the most important thing on a website, and that's content. Seems like you've designed the "shell", but given no thought as to how the content is presented. In my opinion a lot of time (if not most of the time) should be spent on this. I don't think you can call it a complete design without designing the content. Think of it as a design element in itself. Typography (lots of things to play with here and one of the most important elements on a website), hierarchy, imagery (an image on each post, a featured post in the top, 2 columns in top and 1 for the rest, or whatever you want, there are lots of things to explore here), impact, grabbing the readers attention etc. The rest of the sites design should just enhance the content, not overshadow it.

Just my 2 cents for now. Hope it helps!

Hi Mate,

That's spot on feedback, will definetly take it into consideration. I see what you mean with the points you have mentioned.

If I'm honest that header looked to focus too much on sports/tech than 'design', I know how much you love your f1 etc but sometimes your hobbies (cough obsession :p) needs to be put on the backburner. I like anime but I'm not using that as a key part to my website design.

If I was to just see the page without text like it is now I'd assume it was for some sort of tech/sport blog.

Levi said:
If I'm honest that header looked to focus too much on sports/tech than 'design', I know how much you love your f1 etc but sometimes your hobbies (cough obsession :p) needs to be put on the backburner. I like anime but I'm not using that as a key part to my website design.

If I was to just see the page without text like it is now I'd assume it was for some sort of tech/sport blog.

The site is really about me, and about what I enjoy doing, a bit like harry's I guess with all his bike shizzle etc. I do agree it needs the title up there tho...of what it is...ill get that added on.

Cheers for that too Aarlev, could u drop me a screenshot of the header?

glenwheeler said:
Cheers for that too Aarlev, could u drop me a screenshot of the header?

Here you go mate..

glen.png

can you check that for me Soren dude? Changed the header just temporary till i can tidy it! Also see the large heading now, made a few amends according to feedback from you guy

Back