Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give me a kick up the arse!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Barker, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Barker

Barker New Member

Hi guys.
    The names Lewis Barker, im 19, and currently work in a fish factory.

Unfortunately i was a fool and didn't take college seriously, hence why i have the job i do now. However im determined to persue my desire of having a job in design. I've considered going back to college, but i can't really imagine earning less than i am at the minute, and if im perfectly honest i dont know if i can do education like that, i just cannot concentrate. So i figured im just going to practise my ass off and build up a reasonable portfolio then hopefully get some form of job, even if its just an apprenticeship or trainee position.

Got a feeling this wont go down too well but i have been doing the odd job here and there on the cheap/free, but im not an expert so id feel very cheeky if i charged the 'going rate'. Im pretty handy in Photoshop, currently trying to teach myself illustrator but it's not easy! Planning on saving up for a 27" mac once ive fixed my car. A poor workman blames his tools, that's not what im doing, i just love macs!

Im a member on a fair few forums i believe theyre one of the best forms of learning on the internet, and really want to make some progression with my graphics so the only logical thing was to join up here.

Any advice very much welcome
    Cheers :icon_smile:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. willfu

willfu Member

Hi,

I think it all depends on how strong your work is. I know many people who were on my course who were always producing poor work yet they still graduated but can't find design related work. On all my interviews for design roles I was never asked about my course or anything related to education, it was purely on my portfolio.

If your work is strong, it will speak for its self and i wouldn't worry about going back to college. Just focus on getting real work at a good standard and build your portfolio.

Others might have a different opinion though, but this is just my advice.

Cheers
    Will

3. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Lewis

4. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Hi there Lewis, welcome to the forum.

5. Barker

Barker New Member

Cheers guys

@Willfu, my teacher always said my final pieces were good, I was just lazy with everything else to support them. I certainly have an eye for design, but am admittedly crap in Illustrator so i need to crack that.

6. willjack

willjack New Member

Welcome Lewis.

I agree with Willfu.

I did a home course in Web Design then moved to pursue a career in that. I fell into a job working at a local printers where they taught me all the tips and tricks of the business. I took what they taught me home and did a lot of tutorials in my spare time to learn all the CS software inside out. Within a couple of months I had my own set of clients who were more than happy with my work.

I am now doing freelance and couldn't be more happier. Never went to college nor do I have a degree.
    All it takes is a bit of hard work and determination..... Oh and a good eye for designing doesn't hurt either ;)

7. willfu

willfu Member

I was the same, I used to spend most time on the final design and never handed much in when it came to the back up work lol

8. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

One of the best places to learn the practicalities of design and print.

9. Barker

Barker New Member

So glad with these replies and glad im in the same boat as some of you were, mentioned my situation a bit ago on another forum that had a fair few graphic designers on it and just had everyone having a big go at me!

10. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

People are generally a bit more friendly here than other forums :icon_biggrin: