Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gin and Alcohol

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Tony Hardy, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

Went out in Newcastle last night (so you can imagine the state I'm writing this in). We went to a place called Pleased to Meet You, a new gin bar a lot of designers/students/trendy types are raving about in the city centre.

So, they have an amazing array of alcohol. From faraway lands and from just around the corner of their place. Gin, whiskey, brandy, and lots of it.
    My question is...has anyone had Gin? Does anybody know much about it? We had some "posh Gin" (at £6.50, it had best of been posh gin!) To be honest, I really didn't like it, far too dry, did nothing for me at all.

Has anyone else tried it?

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

lol you didn't realise gin is one of if not the 'dryest' alcohol you can have. I don't even drink alcohol and I know that much lol

3. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

It's bloody disgusting. Hated every sip. In the end, I just did the whole £6.50's worth in one go, just to get rid of it haha!

Jimlad likes this.
  4. I love experiencing new alcoholic drinks. I love making cocktails, much prefer drinking them though. I'm personally not a fan of gin though, like you I find it too dry, and, well.. horrible. I don't care if it's part of a recipe but anything less and I'm not interested!
    I'm not being funny, but I made this for both mine and and my partners family a few weeks ago and it was incredible... It was really hot then, so we felt like we should at least have one pimms based drink before summer ended!
    http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Lemon-thyme-pimm_s-cooler-338164

5. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I couldn't drink gin on it's own but I've become quite partial to G+T with ice and lemon when its hot on my jollies.
    Hang on......that's be me next week. :clap:

6. Jonna Healey

Jonna Healey Member

Funnily enough I had my first G&T the other night whilst out for a meal. The waitress took me off guard and I just kinda said 'Oh, I'll have a G&T'. Gotta say though it was really nice. Went to Aldi the day after and bought some - it was shite. Not the same! But guess that's Aldi brands for you! I think it has to be a good Tonic water!

7. Jonna Healey

Jonna Healey Member

I always keep a supply of Sherry or Port around too, just in case I'm feeling really upper-class! :p

8. SeedySteve

SeedySteve Member

Gin's an accuired taste, I like a dash of Sloe Gin though. I wouldn't normally order one, but in a special Gin Bar, I think I could solider through a couple. Love a drop of whiskey or wine with food, but mostly I stick to ale or cider.

9. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

I mostly drink lager but finding I'm slightly allergic to it and it makes me flush and red...so I'm no w looking for an alternative.

10. SeedySteve

SeedySteve Member

I think I have the same allergy - it tends to manifest itself after sleep - I feel terrible :D Try real ale - >> Brewdog <

11. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Are you around any chemicals?
    I used to work with MEK and that reacts with alcohol and gives you de-greasers flush.
    Drinking when dehydrated also causes it.

12. Hate Gin but recently tried Jack Daniels Honey with loads of ice, gorgeous!

13. SeedySteve

SeedySteve Member

Yeah that honey one is sweet! <> My local has a couple of different versions of JD. The honey and a maker's reserve or something. All very good.

14. gcol90

gcol90 Junior Member

Can't drink gin, makes me wretch.
    Heard about this, is it as nice as it's supposed to be??

15. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

Yeah it's quite special the Honey Jack Daniels like. Very easy on the palette.

16. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Get on the real ales Tony! I recommend a visit to the Bacchus for a pint of Rivet Catcher next time. And if you ever see Wainwright in a shop, get some. Gin tastes like horrible chemical wrongness to me. Quite partial to a JD & Coke though. Honey JD is really nice too. Or Jim Beam... I could happily drink that on its own!

17. SeedySteve

SeedySteve Member

Aye, I'm partial to a Rivet Catcher and Bacchus is fine venue. Cumberland Ale is the one for me though. If you ever venture into Sunderland you should try The Isis.

18. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

The only thing I have had Gin in is a long island ice tea, I have heard gin makes you depressed? not too sure always to pissed to know.
    Jack Daniels and coke is great the only thing is it makes your RAF. Recently I have been drinking Desperados, they are really good.

19. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I like to drink strong cider in the local park and expose myself to passing cars.

Jordan likes this.
  20. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Thats a usual Friday night for me too. :friday: