GilmoreVisuals Business Cards Critique

Gilmore - your argument about unaware users hits a flaw, they wouldn't use it anyway so why limit it to just the website when you could have included your full contact details for those that DO know what it does... you can after all include a web link in the information that's written to the qr code and my app at least gives me the option to click on the web, call contact or add the users details to the address book.

No I don't Chris, but I have tried it out on my ipod/galaxy s2, and like many sites all functions and images work fine. However, I do think that if time allowed and I studies how to make it re-size for mobile services that would be something to definitely consider.

Sorry, why would they not use it? I don't fully understand what you are trying to say in your second statement about the web link- you suggesting having the QR code link to my contact details inviting the user to add them to his contact details? It's a good idea...

GilmoreVisuals said:
I have read in different blogs and comments such as yours Ross, that say that a QR code is pointless when it links to the same website/location as is already visible on the same page. I disagree. I think that the majority of people in the UK havn't yet seen a QR code being used on a business card, and this includes potential customers = +1 for originality in their eyes.

You need to understand the psychological effect that a QR code will have on a potential customer when giving the business card to the customer. When someone who is not used to seeing something such as a QR code they will be more intrigued by such a detail as they have never seen them before used in this way, nor will they have seen it frequently. If you show them your business card that has the QR code they will have to assume that you have a certain amount of knowledge to the area and are up to date with technology. Don't get me wrong, i'm not naive about it either. I'm aware that lots will not give a hoot about it and it will pass by, or they will think 'another cheesy QR code plonked unecesserally' however I do strongly believe that is not the thought process of the majority of people with exceptions to people who are knowledgeable in the areas such as us, graphic designers. So this too is = +1 for impressing client with technology.

Finally I think there is a level of interactivity that would not be there if there was only text. I have only recently purchased both ipod touch and a Galaxy S2 smart phone, both of which have the QR reader apps. Nearly every time I see a QR code (cereal box's, news papers, youtube videos etc) I feel tempted to scan and see what lies behind, something I pesonally never felt when seeing a simple website link www.site.com. It's almost targeting an elite audience which might feel supreme because they feel they can access this QR code that maybe not everyone can. Of course, I know people are not like me, however again, I think that there is a higher chance of that QR being scanned than someone manually typing my site URL on a comuter. This too has a +1 for interactivity.

Remember I designed the business card for potential clients, not designers and the choice of the QR code being in that corner is most definitely not pointless :)

So what you're saying is that someone who hasn't seen a QR code before will use this device that will take them to exactly the same place as the url that sits next to it? Clever.

You think a potential client will think you're clever for having something on there that serves no real purpose? Thats not a great first impression for a potential client, its time wasting.

And the psychological effect will be a good one? Taking longer to get to the same page as the url? Thats a good thing yeah? I think its -1 for common sense and practicality.

For me it 's there as a gimmick - if you really want it do what you think it will, be brave and have no other contact details on - just have your name and the QR code on your business card.

Well if we think of some of the main reasons for a business card, you give them out to strangers (usually accompanied by a conversation about what you do and how you might be able to help them) and acquaintances who probably already know at least a little bit about what you do.

At some stage both of these people will have the same thought if they are thinking of hiring you. They're going to want more information about you so they will find your card and look for the details which will allow them to do this. Usually a website link. They're simply going to choose the quickest way to complete their goal. Unless they're using a phone then they'll completely ignore the QR code and it will be seen as an ugly black and white square which detracts from the aesthetics of the business card.

I never use QR codes, partly because my mobile internet is very erratic and partly because I find using browsers on my phone quite difficult when typing in domains. It's just easier for me to look something up on the computer and not wait 3 minutes for a 500kb site to load up.

I also don't believe that people who have never seen a QR code (therefore will not know how to use them) will ever use it. I know what they are and how they're used and I still don't have a QR scanner on my phone. Maybe that's just me.

I understand your main points and as designers I know there is good reason for what you are stating, however, I still feel to be achieving a psychological advantage with the receiver in comparison to a design with similar content and look, forget about common sense and logic- this is was never meant to be logical, maybe reflecting my personality through a seeming and/or illogical content 'gimmick'.

Thanks again. I appreciate the thought behind everything- I will keep it in mind for my next design.

GilmoreVisuals said:
Thanks- i'm not sure about the thickness, but it's nothing special. 250gm (they were free from a place I work with) I was more focusing on the design than the card (at this point in my career)

Hi - "more focusing on the design than the card" - IMO the key points for a business card, especially a designer's card are DESIGN and CARD THICKNESS/TEXTURE.

Cheap thin digital or litho cards will not IMPRESS anybody - no matter how good the design, just my opinion :)

Love Business Cards | www.lovebusinesscards.com | business card design & inspiration

UK Letterpress and Hot Foil Examples

Best wishes - David

Attachments

• deeply_impressed-540x738.jpg
    deeply_impressed-540x738.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 3
Imagine if there was someone... someone on this forum.. who provided such a service..! ;) Can you think of anyone David? :p

I do agree though, you simply can't beat a good letterpress/foil business card. The only drawback to this though is the price. Often us younger/newer designers don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on some business cards! I'm definitely going to get some for my next batch though :D

Back