Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabit Network

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by charles, Jan 8, 2010.

1. charles

charles Senior Member

Hey people,

who uses gigabit lan?

i'm installing cabling at work (fun little project!) for the upgrade and would like to know if its noticeable to go from 100 to 1000...

thnx

2. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

We did some testing with this on a smallish to medium size lan at Uni adding and removing duplex and full duplex devices to work out speeds and difference in latency and delivery of different size data packets. It was very ineteresting! What cabling is being used across network and have you ran wireless yet?

3. charles

charles Senior Member

I'm using 350mhz cat5e solid 4 pair

4. charles

charles Senior Member

won't be using wireless for anything, though have got a wireless g router installed

5. glenwheeler

Try and get hold of some cat6 see what it does to the network. As for the wireless G it obviously only broadcasts at 54mbps but again have a tweek with it, It sounds so sad but I find this stuf really interesting!

6. charles

charles Senior Member

I've just bought the cat5e and its 350mhz version so will be fine for gigabit as cat 6 is usually 200mhz

7. glenwheeler

Alot better for cross talk tho, performance is up to about 250mhz suiteable for both 10BaseT and 100Base-TX

8. charles

charles Senior Member

its only short run and its twisted pair solid so will be fine for the job, im not upgrading for out and out speed, just wanted to get a noticeable difference really, would have gone 6a or fibre

9. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I use 5e flex throughout the house, I haven't checked the mhz rating not that it actually makes any difference.

Think the longest run is something like 20m or so and I do not have directly linked into the internet I've got a wifi bridge for that. My wired network is all under ups protection so even if my router fries my pc's should be fine :)

You should see a small benefit although don't expect 10x the performance.

Last time I transferred stuff (large iso's) I was getting around 30MB average (upto 50MB according to network monitor) from a vista machine going to a windows 7 machine with the same hardware, I would expect slightly faster without vista being involved.