Getting some work

TomStutt

Hey all

I know weve probably spoke about this before but I really need to start getting some small business' to know who I am and what I do but I dont know the best way to go about it.

I know most of you say you get your work from people recommending and word of mouth but how do i get the first lot of customers.

There are loads of small business' where i live but the only way of getting myself known to them is walking the streets and posting something through the letterbox. The only problem with that is, is that I dont have the time with work and a little one. Anyone have any ideas that doesnt cost a fortune?

Do any of you peeps put yourself on directories? If so what are good ones for picking up customers?

Cheers all, Tom

Squash Courts and Golf Clubs, the only people who play those sports are the ones who make lots of monies or own their own companies, ie decision markers, therefore get down there, network, strike up a conversation then its all just down to your salesmanship.

I have lotos of other tips, but, giving them away free would put me out of business :)

Hi Tom,

When I first started freelancing I went through the ads in my local paper looking for companies that had websites listed in their adverts, I then checked out their sites and decided if I would be able to improve their site in anyway. My thinking was if they have money to spend on advertising in the paper, and their website was not as good as it could be then they might be interested in my services.

I ended up calling about 12 different companies and off the back of that lined up two meetings, from one meeting I got a new logo design and web design job for a local wedding venue. From my experience a lot of local companies didn't really understand the potential for their own websites or simply assumed that getting a new site would be too expensive.

If you can get a few local clients this way then the likelihood that your name and reputation will build is obviously pretty good. If you can offer print design services then there's every chance you could get some regular advertisement design work too.

I would avoid sending out letters, even if they do get to the right person the likelihood that they'll make the effort to contact you is so slim. Get on the phone and ask to speak to the person in charge of their website, if they're not around make sure you get a name and contact details, and keep pursuing it until you speak to the decision maker. Once you're speaking to the right person ask to arrange a time you could pop in for 10 minutes and show them how you could improve their site :)

Other than that I would avoid paying out for any adverts, perhaps try looking for a local directory, but once again you're relying on a potential client seeing the ad, thinking yes I want to speak to this person/company and then actually taking the time and making the effort to contact.

Hope that helps :)
Greg

Yeah GL Tom,

Another point worth noting on my above post, is that if you can get some advertising on your car or a spare car just leave it parked up in the aforementioned golf clubs car parks, or on the side of the road near where traffic comes to a stand still during rush hour! ...

I just went through a local directory for interior designers / kitchen suppliers. I phoned about 10 companies, a few didnt answer so will call them back, one told me to ring back wednesday and another one said to send them a quote for a re-design of what they had.

will do that and see what happens. i have a few more numbers to call so il let you know how it goes

Now I have the problem for quoting for this job.

The site in total has about 500-530 pages as it has a catalogue of what they sell. There is no facility to buy anything just to browse the catalogue.

Im unsure of how to quote for this??? All they want is a re-design of the pages they have. There is an image for each page with all the text about what it is.

If i charge this at an hourly rate it comes out at just over £5000.

Just had someone ask me to email my details to them and another one who said they are wanting to get a site and also to email details as they are interested.

greg, your the man

Sounds like you're doing well. In sales speak, it's all about getting your pitch right and harnessing a potential client's attention quick smart.

Remember to listen to their needs and sell them benefits of your service over features.

TomStutt said:
Now I have the problem for quoting for this job.

The site in total has about 500-530 pages as it has a catalogue of what they sell. There is no facility to buy anything just to browse the catalogue.

Im unsure of how to quote for this??? All they want is a re-design of the pages they have. There is an image for each page with all the text about what it is.

If i charge this at an hourly rate it comes out at just over £5000.

I doubt very much that this is 500+ static pages and if it is, it needs to be changed.

If they have a catalog. They need a small admin area to add/remove/edit products and one or two dynamic pages on the front end to display all 500+ of them.

Back