Getting into the work place.

Fruitbat

Hey!

I've recently been applying for graphic design jobs around the UK just to get a bit of feedback really.. as I'm in uni for another 2 years!

Im just wondering if it is actually possible to get a good graphic design job with no degree? Almost all of the job posts i've seen for junior graphic designers say:
Degree or equivalent in graphic design or similar/visual communication & in-depth knowledge of photoshop, indesign and illustrator.

I know it's not physically possible for me to get a job as my skills are now as I'm useless on illustrator (work in progress)! I'm just curious.

Also this is my temp online folio.. what would employers like to see, baring in mind I'm aiming to be a graphic designer for a clothing brand or apparel print designer.
cargocollective.com/no13

thanks x

Realistically with the current economic climate etc getting a job in design with no degree will require a top notch portfolio and a LOT of luck. On equal portfolios you will nearly always lose out to someone with a degree.

When you come out of uni you have my personal favourite requirement... graduate designer with 2-3 years WORK experience to contend with too... yeah thats a graduate there alright lol

Levi said:
Realistically with the current economic climate etc getting a job in design with no degree will require a top notch portfolio and a LOT of luck. On equal portfolios you will nearly always lose out to someone with a degree.

When you come out of uni you have my personal favourite requirement... graduate designer with 2-3 years WORK experience to contend with too... yeah thats a graduate there alright lol

Thanks for the info :D
People never believe me when i tell them how awkward it is to get a good graphic design job at my student level They seem to think it's making pretty pictures & easy to get into!

ChrisRobinson said:
Thanks for the info :D
People never believe me when i tell them how awkward it is to get a good graphic design job at my student level They seem to think it's making pretty pictures & easy to get into!
ah students, all confident etc, that will change :up:

Greg said:
Agree with Levi on this one, unfortunately there's not enough jobs for the graduates at the moment (crazy number of applicants for each advertised position) so to even get your foot in the door for an interview without a degree in your CV will be tough, unless you can find a way to really stand out and impress with your work before then.

Have you done a work placement as part of your course? Or looked at doing that yourself? You might find that useful for opening doors/getting contacts, etc.

Yeah I can imagine!
No work placements as of yet as I am only moving into year two.. we do have the option to do it though & I'm glad that my uni & course head/co ordinator has great industry links.

I've got plenty of freelance experience in the field id like to have a career in but even that would not interest an employer at the moment.

why not find a local agency you like the look of and offer to work for them for free for a month if you can? Also dont always rely on an electronic portfolio, I love it when i have interviews who bring a touchy feely portfolio

ChrisRobinson said:
Yeah I can imagine!
No work placements as of yet as I am only moving into year two.. we do have the option to do it though & I'm glad that my uni & course head/co ordinator has great industry links.

I've got plenty of freelance experience in the field id like to have a career in but even that would not interest an employer at the moment.

not whilst being at uni and working a part time job & training. Id consider it after a decent work placement after university but i'll just see what direction i go in through my 3rd year of uni i guess.

kayak_nut said:
why not find a local agency you like the look of and offer to work for them for free for a month if you can? Also dont always rely on an electronic portfolio, I love it when i have interviews who bring a touchy feely portfolio

Given it a go but there aren't many agencies around where I'm from or any design related job really which is disappointing. I do have a large A1 portfolio :) we had to get them done for uni interviews so I'm constantly updating that through freelance and uni work :) x

So have you not considered taking up freelancing to replace your part-time job?

Please also remember to use the edit button if you've forgotten to say something originally, instead of double posting.

Squiddy said:
So have you not considered taking up freelancing to replace your part-time job?

Please also remember to use the edit button if you've forgotten to say something originally, instead of double posting.

Well yes, but at the moment I need a steady income & for now with my ability level, i can;t guarantee that with freelance.

Well, work doesn't just magically appear out of thin air ;) I would argue that it's actually easier to get freelance work now because it's more cost effective than using an agency or design company who have to charge a premium to cover all of their business overheads.

What effort have you put in to getting freelance work? It might actually be one of your better options.

I know it doesn't hah. I've got business cards, Facebook page, online portfolio, advertising my design service in the local area, online etc

I've got enough freelance work coming in for apparel print design (the sort of stuff I do is on my online portfolio) also have a little bit of branding work coming in for clothing lines etc but thats all I'm willing to do at the moment until my all-round skills improve. I don;t want to be creating work that isn't up to the standard I want it to be.. so part time work and freelancing in my spare time seems the only realistic option when I'm moving out etc

If you've got an awesome* portfolio of work and are willing to work for free or for expenses on a placement / internship / short term to show how good you this shouldn't be a problem.

I've had a few jobs in my time - all have asked for the old 'educated to degree level' bit - not one employer has asked what grade i got, they did ask to what university i went to though.

*by awesome i don't mean some decent stuff that your mates like - i mean the **** hottest of **** hot portfolios EVER. Like whats been said - too many graduates - no where near enough roles. You're competing against students, graduates, unemployed designers of all levels - it's hard.

A job won't find you - you've got to find it. And show the employer you want it. A lot.

Then and only then can you piss around on twitter and facebook all day...

rossnorthernunion said:
If you've got an awesome* portfolio of work and are willing to work for free or for expenses on a placement / internship / short term to show how good you this shouldn't be a problem.

I've had a few jobs in my time - all have asked for the old 'educated to degree level' bit - not one employer has asked what grade i got, they did ask to what university i went to though.

*by awesome i don't mean some decent stuff that your mates like - i mean the **** hottest of **** hot portfolios EVER. Like whats been said - too many graduates - no where near enough roles. You're competing against students, graduates, unemployed designers of all levels - it's hard.

A job won't find you - you've got to find it. And show the employer you want it. A lot.

Then and only then can you piss around on twitter and facebook all day...

Well I for sure don;t have a **** hot portfolio yet but i do work my ass off for absolutely everything i want to achieve.

Im just going to continue to freelance and improve, finish uni & get the best folio I can and then chase what I want to do

chris, if your porty isnt s*** hot then do some speculative work when you get time, pick something you want to do and do it, I found the RNLI and shelter were quite happy to use the speculative stuff I did for them for free, and they made great portfolio pieces for quite a few years.

ChrisRobinson said:
Well I for sure don;t have a **** hot portfolio yet but i do work my ass off for absolutely everything i want to achieve.

Im just going to continue to freelance and improve, finish uni & get the best folio I can and then chase what I want to do

Thanks for the tips! always really appreciated from everyone.

I do a load of t-shirt and apparel design/print design & that would be my ideal job but i know it does;t always work that way. I really need branding &identity design practice more than anything at the moment!

i'll 100% give the old comps a go on here to test myself x

I hadn't seen that before Levi, it took me a while to actually find your entry, page 17 I believe..! It was worth it though, good stuff! Can't wait for the next comp! ;)

Back