Getting back into design

Starloz

Reet, I've been out of 'action' for a couple of years, mainly as I lost my first design job and then kind of diverted into other areas such as admin/retail/social care work, quite a typical scenario for a lot of arts grads :D. I want to get back into design now though as I feel my years at college would of been a waste otherwise. I'm trying to build a folio to have online and in print, and will try to pick up some freelance work afterwards maybe. I'm not the best designer by any means plus I've been out of touch so to speak, but I think I have potential and enthusiasm which i suppose is a start! Anyway, what is the best way to build a folio without live briefs? I thought about using contest site like 99designs, just to use the projects, but not actually register/compete as I generally think they're wrong. If I'm not actually taking part, can I use these projects I complete in my portfolio? I did make some projects up but how can i place the restraints on them that a real project would have?

Any advice would be appreciated

The YCN (Young Creatives Network) has some really good briefs to get stuck into, and the D&AD website has some good ones too, these would all be good for building up your portfolio as a lot of them feature real life businesses. Welcome back and good luck!

The YCN (Young Creatives Network) has some really good briefs to get stuck into, and the D&AD website has some good ones too, these would all be good for building up your portfolio as a lot of them feature real life businesses. Welcome back and good luck!

Stumbled on this by chance and found it hugely helpful as I too am getting back into the field after a couple of years absence.

Good luck getting back out there OP! If it's any help, check out the Computer Arts handbooks 'The Portfolio Handbook' and the 'Self Promo Handbook'. I've found them really helpful so far as someone who has been out of the loop for a while!

Back