(Gentle!) critique/help please ..

Woah... nobody said your logo was shit.

You've gotten good constructive comments and you didn't run off crying when the feedback was negative (which a lot of newbies do because they can't handle hearing the truth). You've taken the positives from the feedback.

Don't misconstrue the posts and summarize the comments into something that was never said.

To be honest, had someone posted, in September 1998, the Google logo for critique, the reaction would be the same. However, the Google logo isn't pretty, but it's not important to the business. Is the Google logo one of the most recognisible logos in the world? Yes it is - because Google is important to everyone, and their brand is instantly recognisible. Nobody cares that the logo is shit - it's not a driving force for the business. Same with Windows. And Apple was Newton sitting under an apple tree, evolved to the apple with a bite out of it.

Look at facebook, it's just white text on a blue background. http://www.cubancouncil.com/work/project/facebook-logo even Zuckerberg went to the pros for help.

Not all business logos start off as creme de creme, nor do they need to be - the advice here is not to rip off other logos/designs and concentrate on the business, use a simple word mark and when you're ready you can build your brand identity with a pro by developing what you've come up with already.

1) is it not important for a logo to convey its own meaning? Ie are the benefits of a simple type logo worth losing the visual element?
2) is it not a bad idea to rebrand down the line off poss to avoid loss of the brand recognition that has been built?
3) how about simple type in a nice font(what constitutes a 'nice' font under these circumstances? Are there trends? And if dragon and UAV are in different fonts (surely a better idea) are there certain 'paired' fonts that go well together visually for this?
4) finally ! What if I held on to a tiny bit of dragon infatuation (? It's my name! ??) and stylised the O to be a more attractive aperture/eye type thing with some wings in either side ? Coming off the O at around 10 O clock and 2 o clock, in a simple rib style like on the logo above? If I could get that right, I don't think I would need to rebrand, and it's simple & type based with just a smidge of graphic?
1 - Lots of companies just use a type based branding, it also allows you to expand to say 'dragon ROV' (underwater cameras) where dragon is the main part of the branding and the later part say is a 'subdivision'.
2 - Changing a logo doesn't mean changing your brand, just look at google for an example of a constantly changing logo but the brand remains the same. They're technically two different things although it's easy for people to see them as the same thing when they're not in the design field.
3 - Not an easy thing to answer because it depends hugely on the brand and product.
5 - the o aperture has been done to death. If you had/have the skills you could likely change the G into a stylised dragon.

Woah... nobody said your logo was shit.

Wellll, the comments about it being a-level and then secondary school weren't very constructive ! A-level in design isn't too bad considering my experience lol

REALLY helpful advice tho guys, thank you.. I know I wouldn't fly my drone for free just cause someone asked, and I appreciate your time and thoughts I really do

Fair point about the O aperture Levi, the stylised G sounds pretty awesome tho ! Here we go again !!

Sorry if you didn't find it constructive, I see your point, however, it was well intentioned, and as you point out, it was accurate given your experience.

You're absolutely more than welcome on the help out - no problem at all. That's what we are here for.

Let us know how you get on!

Wellll, the comments about it being a-level and then secondary school weren't very constructive ! A-level in design isn't too bad considering my experience lol
Those comments were obviously not meant in a way to offend but more in a way to give you an idea of where they stand against a professional designers work standard.

If you put equivalent levels of gcse, a-level, degree and professional designer (ie in the industry) into a numerical grading you'd see gcse at 1, a-level at 5, degree at 12 and pro at 15-20. There's some huge step ups in terms of knowledge and skill as you go through training and this is something a lot of people just don't realise about design.
When I was at school the teachers actually said there is a huge step up between each of those levels and they're right.

JJeeezzzzee I can't believe a couple of 'negative' comments is dragging on so long to the point it has to be explained. Thing is, no one said it was 'secondary school level', what was said is that a secondary school student could of done it, and that is true.

How about we focus on what would be considered the more 'positive' feedback and move on...

Indeed CLHB, wasn't asking for a hug or anything !! And Levi, I agree mate, I have my own 15-20's under my belt, just not in graphic design !
Ok Tried a type version, and tried to graft the dragon head onto the G. I now have versions with dragon with eye and dragon with no eye. Please advise.. wife thinks no eye looks cleaner.

Looked through plenty of fonts, including recommended pairings but i thought as I was going with the dragon G I wouldn't add any more styling to the text, other than tweaking the spacings a bit.. If I drop the dragon, I would add detail by using an alternative typeface for UAV.

Hope that makes sense ! This has been so useful guys,

PS Do you think red text for red dragon (I live in Wales) or do you think green looks fresher and more modern?? Like halfway between grass & lime..

Attachments

• DragonUAV Type Logo eye_no eye version.pdf
    809.3 KB · Views: 8
I prefer the one with the eye, the G is positioned correctly on that one too. You will have to graft the dragon's head on to
a proper G, it needs square corners like the other letters.

Fair enough on the G, I rounded the corners on purpose to make it look a bit more like the back end of the dragon, new version up soon !

Have to ask, do think the dragon looks a bit 'goaty'? Was worse but I reshaped the jaw a bit.. Now I've thought goat, I keep seeing goat.. Can I assume no one else thought goat till I mentioned it?

And colour? How's the red.. Think I prefer something a little more friendly than red.. I'll make the changes G version green.. Or is it ok to leave the colour variable and use several different colours as the mood takes me?

Now you mention it, you could just get rid of the goatee bit, that would help. Also, the bump on the snout should either
be removed or moved back to where the eye is. Google 'dragon logo'!

WOW! Just read through this.
That logo has gone from 0-60 pretty quickly. :D

I'm with @Wardy . A bit of tweaking and that's a decent, ready to go logo.
Hat's off to you that you've done it yourself. I'm all for that.

First thing I was taught in design was "K.I.S.S" (keep it simple stupid) and the next was to grow a broad set of shoulders which were both valuable lessons.
Ones that I have to remind myself daily. ;)

Nice work and looking forward to seeing the result.

Working on it wardy, but this is where my inexperience really kicks in, I'm trying loads of mouth shapes, but they just aren't coming out right... :(

Hankscorpio.. As in maybe it should be a tad wider to better match the average width of the other letters?

Just for shuts and giggles, here is what happened when I asked a 'pro' from <<removed>> to have a crack at it.. Lesson learned

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Hat's off to you mate, that is incredible work in such a short space of time. What you have is really very good, I can't stress that enough. With the few minor tweaks as mentioned above and also correct the kerning in places, and I think you're there. I also do not see why you would need to rebrand in the future, it is that good.

Honestly, well done! (y)

PS. I did not see a goat until you mentioned it, but with the suggested tweaks that should take care of that problem.

Also, I agree the one with the eye is better. Will it be seen at small scales? No, but in this case it doesn't really matter, as it will still work.

Wow, this is getting really positive ! Excited at how this is turning out.. so, adjusted the face... (still having problems I think, or do it looks acceptable), adjusted the kerning, and widened the U in UAVto be a similar width to the other letters.

Are we there yet? :'D

Attachments

• Logo 3 - face, spacing and U.png
    Logo 3 - face, spacing and U.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 10
Just for shuts and giggles, here is what happened when I asked a 'pro' from <<removed>> to have a crack at it.. Lesson learned

Pro… Logo… <<removed>>… does not compute…

I'm not happy with the width of the U in UAV.
Agree, same with the R in Dragon. Ideally they should be the same or close to the width of the A and V. Currently they look a bit weak. I'll try and find some fonts I'd recommend.

*Edit*

Something like Lato Black maybe? It has curves to some of the edges, so it's geometric and 'heavy' but also slightly organic, like say a dragon???

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 15.26.53.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back