Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GDF Re-Design

Discussion in 'GDF Announcements:' started by Stationery Direct, Apr 4, 2009.

1. designer01

designer01 Member

Music...is our life's foundation!

In this day and age you have to attract people in every way.

There's a very good chance that people will remember GDF and come back to it because it has music and possibly a rotating logo. If you don't stand out...how will you be remembered...

Think about it.

There's hundreds of graphic design forums and pretty much there's a standard way of doing things but none that I've come across have music. It's just a suggestion but it may give GDF the edge.

Greg

2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Cheers for the suggestion Greg

The problem with music is that not everbody is going to like what I like which could alienate people, I agree that some websites work very well with music, such as this > Javier Ferrer Vidal

Just don't think it's right for a forum, for example if I go to a site that has music I turn it off straight away because I cannot concentrate when reading.

Keep the suggestions coming though :icon_thumbup:

3. designer01

designer01 Member

Hi,

Yes, I've also checked out some good graphic design websites with music/sound effects. My idea would be just to have the music at the home page and nowhere else. The home page is where vistors would go first. Maybe having a sound effect for each section would be cool.

Apart from the music I really think that the rotating logo and perhaps a new layout (differet to most other forums) could work well.

Cheers

Greg

4. KevJaques

KevJaques Member

Music works well in the right site but it's not a place for a graphic design forum imo

Fair enough to offer it as a widget kind of thing which users could use but default to be off, most graphic designers I know are already listening to music from another favourite source so I don't think it would mix well.

The Jamendo radio widget is cool tho, free music.

I will be doing some work on the layout at the weekend, and looking at the forum install/themes

5. CYoung

CYoung Member

Despite originally being against the idea for uploading more logos, I had some spare time this morning and just put a very basic idea for the logo down (I'm a hypocrite at times). I think I like Gareth from Dot Design's logo better, but see what people think. :icon_smile:

[​IMG]

6. Toyegraphics

Toyegraphics Member

Curtis,

Nice logo, however i do prefer Gareths one.. simply as its more bold, simple, and memorable.

good though..!!

PLease please please.. no music or rotating logo! IMO it would look/feel really distasteful. Your right greg, you do need to have an edge, however maybe having the edge for the quality of replies and the forum community is better than being remembered for a rotating logo and music that would put people off. music would not work as people already listen to music on the computer while working, so visiting the forum would mean the music would mash together and sound horrid, meaning less users visiting the site..

Pete

7. CYoung

CYoung Member

I 100% agree with Pete on music and rotating logo, would look...and sound, dreadful. Thanks for your comments Pete, after looking again I think the speech bubble on Gareth's logo has much more potential for branding, whereas the one I've created is solely text and probably not that memorable.

8. Toyegraphics

Toyegraphics Member

Don't get me wrong, i think your is really good, nice work! i just prefer the other one..

maybe try using more bold text and decrease the space between the characters?

Pete

9. CYoung

CYoung Member

I have no time today, but I'll have another look on Monday I would think. Besides, I've got a sausage sandwitch for my dinner :icon_biggrin:

10. Toyegraphics

Toyegraphics Member

not bad for some :p

11. CYoung

CYoung Member

haha. Yes, it was very nice ;) - this is becoming off topic.

12. Toyegraphics

Toyegraphics Member

i know.. i feel naughty :p haha!!

im looking forward to the new layout and design, it should hopefully be nice and fresh! more appealing to new users also..!

i like the idea of having each section a different colour, however i think we maybe need to reduce the amount of section already here?? i feel there is too many, yes they do all have a purpose.. but maybe just too many of them..? it like the site could become jack of all trade, master of none..?

13. designer01

designer01 Member

I think there could be less sections. That would make it easier to navigate around the site.

Cheers

Greg

14. if you guys are giving the site a re-vamp can we have a spell check function, coz mi spellin kan bee reelie atrowshus at timz!

15. Toyegraphics

Toyegraphics Member

haha!

Good suggestion..! it would be really helpful actually....

16. dot design

dot design Member

Be good if we could, might be worth having a 'breath analyzer' function as well judging by some of the threads on here, myself included! :icon_biggrin:

17. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

lol, both sound like great vBulletin plugins :icon_biggrin:

18. Toyegraphics

Toyegraphics Member

any idea how long until the new layout ??

19. KevJaques

KevJaques Member

layout, 1st mockup fairly soon

then looking at forum install and theme

20. GibbW

GibbW New Member

Hi all,

Has the new design theme been implemented yet, I'm new to the forums so am unable to tell. To be honest if they haven't I quite like the look of the old theme, nice and clean and simple, but I suppose everything needs progression once in a while and you can always make something that looks good better.

In terms of the logo... I like the one in the original post, not sure which colour to go for maybe the red. If I had to change anything about it I would make the word 'graphic' slightly different, maybe with a bolder or lighter version of the font. Just my opinion though.