Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GDF Re-Design

Discussion in 'GDF Announcements:' started by Stationery Direct, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Finally got 5 minutes to make you all aware that we are undertaking a complete re-design of the GDF.

Basically the current design is a skin that I purchased for £29.99 :icon_biggrin: and the naff logo is something I knocked together when I had 2 minutes free (I am no logo designer). When the site was initially put together I had no idea that people would be interested in it so did not spend much time on the design.

However, the community is growing slowly but surely and it now seems that we have a few regulars on board, the advice being offered is fantastic (many thanks to all). In order to grow the forums and to attract further professional businesses/freelancers we now need to have something that is appealing from a design point of view.....we are a Graphic/Website Design Forum after all!

This thread will be where all further discussion on the re-design takes place, we are open to suggestions on features you may like to see or anything that you may not like with regards to what we come up with.

So far Gareth from Dot Design has come up with a logo which I personally really like (below), I think the bottom blue one is the best colour way.

Kev from MultiLayer Design has kindly offered to put together a skin taking into account the new logo and as soon as he has something to show it will be posted up here for your opinions.

We really value what you think as to be honest you guys 'n' gals make the forums, so don't be shy, get involved!

[​IMG]

2. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

Be honest in your responses folks so we can build a general consensus on things. As we all know, you can't please all the people all of the time, but if we can get close enough then its all good :icon_thumbup:

3. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

I like the logo. Not sure which is best mind, but it's looking good.

4. KevJaques

KevJaques Member

Here's another idea ;)
    atm we have 7 sections of the forum, we could even have colour coded sections each with using a different coloured part logo ;) heheh
    The idea lends itself well to different sections, certainly something to check out first rather than just dismiss!

5. dot design

dot design Member

Yeah this is definately something to consider and could help with navigation. Only problem is as the site grows you need more colours, but I do like the idea.

6. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Site shouldn't have too many more subforums added, as it makes it harder to keep track. Definitely best to streamline where possible, so the sites forums shouldn't really grow as the members do.

7. Looking sweet!

Great logo Gareth.

I was think the same thing just before getting to KevJaques post - keep the freedom.

Craig.

8. ms_dave

ms_dave Member

nice logo...clean and simple...like it !
    :icon_thumbup:

9. Timmo

Timmo Member

Logo looks really good, I personally like the green.

10. Timmo

Timmo Member

What about a favicon?

[​IMG]

11. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Cheers Timmo

Just need to decide on the logo and skin first, the favicon will be the last thing taking into account the direction we go in.

Thanks again :icon_thumbup:

12. Timmo

Timmo Member

That's alright, just trying to entertain my self lol

13. creativesolutions

creativesolutions New Member

I actually like the idea of having different colour schemes for "forums" for the different section.

14. designer01

designer01 Member

Hi,

I like the logo. I think the green version is best and it's a good idea incorporating the speech bubble.
    I also like the idea of a multi-coloured forum. The speech bubble in the logo could perhaps also be multi-coloured to reflect the various sections of the website.

Perhaps it would be good to have some music playing at the home page. I would be willing to provide some as I produce music! Maybe something ambient. Someone could then perhaps create a rotating GDF logo in time to the music! Some exciting typography would be a good idea too. I think it It would entice graphic designers. Also, maybe there could be some sort of interactive element to the website. Perhaps a project where people can contribute to an on going design project.

Cheers

Greg

15. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

Like the logo, but please - no music.

16. Steve_jurado

Steve_jurado Guest

Maybe start a thread where people can upload logo's? Then choose the one you like best?

17. CYoung

CYoung Member

I think spec work is a bad idea. Besides, the one that has been created is suitable (IMO) :D

18. Toyegraphics

Toyegraphics Member

defiantly no music!!!

loving the logo's though...

when is this gonna be all done? :p

19. KevJaques

KevJaques Member

in due course ;) layout is coming next, then 1st mockup

20. dot design

dot design Member

I agree with Peter on this, not a big fan of music on websites, apart from itunes!:icon_biggrin:
    But its good that people are putting their ideas and opinions forward, thanks.