Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GDF Directory

Discussion in 'GDF Feedback & Help:' started by Xenonsoft, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Damon, has GDF got a directory/links page?

I was just wondering, as it would be quite a good idea I would of thought as it would help with google page rank and you could encourage more people to post GDF's link on their site.

2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred

No it doesn't (that I know of) although it sounds like a good idea, is it a plugin?

3. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

I've never run a forum myself Damon, but there's probably something out there. I don't really know how administrating a forum works!

I can do a quick search later on and get back to you.

4. Stationery Direct

Cheers Fred

Will take a look myself too.

5. Stationery Direct

In the process of installing this now: Business Directory

The only requirement to add your business to the Business Directory is a link back to our forums, do you think this is fair or will it stop people using this new feature? The main reasons behind this are the link backs will be good for SEO and it will stop spammers.

Your views are greatly appreciated.

6. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

I agree on all counts mate. Just have it as a direct link.

7. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Hi Damon,

Personally, I think that it should either be a link to the business directory as you said, or it should just be taken off, one or the other. I'd lean towards a link to the business directory.

I'm not 100% sure where I stand as to making it compulsary to add a link to your website. Problem with this, is that it's not easily enforceable. I would probably have an easily recognisable notice either displayed all the time on the business directory tab or when trying to submit a link, clearly stating that you would love the favour to be returned with a link back to GDF, possibly with example code below for lazy people to copy in. I wouldn't use large text or anything like that, but make sure it's slightly seperate from the rest and stands out to the eye.

It might be worth putting a post in 'important announcements' telling people not to post up a link in the directory's yet, although, just checking the forums there isn't such a forum yet. Your thoughts on including that forum?

:icon_biggrin:

8. Stationery Direct

As requested I have now added an Announcements Forum :icon_smile:

http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/gdf-announcements/

9. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Good work Boss.

10. Timmo

Timmo Member

Also have you considered making a GDF site as the main page then links to the forum from there, you could also include things like resources and guides etc.

11. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

A good idea Timmo, but personally I think that's something to do once the forum is bursting with people able to fill that window. It would make the forum look less active at this stage I think.

12. Stationery Direct

13. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Damon,

I've added your link here but it doesn't accept it when trying to add our business to the directory.

I'm probably doing something obvious wrong, if you can let me know what what it is I'll fix it!

14. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

Having the same problem mate. I informed Damon earlier today, glad it isn't just me :)

15. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Good to hear PI. Hopefully it's sorted soon :)

16. Stationery Direct

Looking into this guys, sorry, will let you know when it is sorted.

Cheers

Damon

17. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

no problem mate. teething problems is all :)

18. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Not a problem Damon, we'll sit tight.

19. Stationery Direct

Just to keep you all updated, the designers of the plugin are looking into this and should have it fixed soon, bit slow because of Christmas holidays etc.

If you can keep the links on your sites so they can see why it isn't picking them up.

Many thanks

20. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

That's cool Damon, good effort.