Gaming Thread

royalj

So for graphic designers interested in producing games, what kind of games do you want to make?

Also what games do you like to play?

Paul Murray

Staff member
I'm currently working on a little town builder game using Godot. Got a couple of larger projects in mind once this one is finished but they're a ways off yet.

As for games to play, I'm a fan of a good sandbox game. I used to play EvE Online back in the day, and I've recently discoverd Mount and Blade (though they're not aging to well). I also play a few shooters, namely Planetside 2 with a few friends. Currently looking forward to the Medievil remake on PS4, the original PSX version is one of my favourite games of all time.

nshep

I have recently started getting into Anno 1404. It's about 10 years old but still holds up. I love games where you can build stuff and create a working system. Though I won't say no to a good shooter, either.

Paul Murray

Staff member
I have recently started getting into Anno 1404.
I like Anno, I'm a bit of a nerd for peaceful city builder or economy games, Cities: Skylines is a regular play. I also like a 4x like Civ (Call to Power 2 is the best!).

nshep

I like Anno, I'm a bit of a nerd for peaceful city builder or economy games, Cities: Skylines is a regular play. I also like a 4x like Civ (Call to Power 2 is the best!).
Civilitation 2 was one of the first games I ever played. I also own Civ 5 but it is a bit beyond the capabilities of my current laptop. I'll check out Cities: Skylines.

Paul Murray

Staff member
It's a similar concept to Sim City, but the focus is more on designing and expanding a city rather than making one that runs as efficiently as possible. There's more 'lower level' stuff you can do if you're into that stuff though, such as designing transport routes and managing traffic, but you can also just design a nice looking city if you want to play that way.

nshep

It's a similar concept to Sim City, but the focus is more on designing and expanding a city rather than making one that runs as efficiently as possible. There's more 'lower level' stuff you can do if you're into that stuff though, such as designing transport routes and managing traffic, but you can also just design a nice looking city if you want to play that way.
I bookmarked it on Steam. Performance wise it might be above my computer's paygrade though.

royalj

I'm currently working on a little town builder game using Godot. Got a couple of larger projects in mind once this one is finished but they're a ways off yet.

As for games to play, I'm a fan of a good sandbox game. I used to play EvE Online back in the day, and I've recently discoverd Mount and Blade (though they're not aging to well). I also play a few shooters, namely Planetside 2 with a few friends. Currently looking forward to the Medievil remake on PS4, the original PSX version is one of my favourite games of all time.
Nice! I've been working on a 3d map in an engine called DarkRadiant, which is for the Quake engine, and I'm planning on importing it over to a Unity project and hopefully ramshackling an FPS.

Playing wise, I'm playing ARMA on PC, and looking to get people to play more games with. I'm having a lot of fun knowing now I can play a few of the games out that are pretty great, like Medieval and the newest release of The Outer Worlds. Tbh my friend who plays Planetside 2 made me think that it was a dead game by now. I'm up for some forum group gaming.

Paul Murray

Staff member
Planetside is still going, far from dead, though the future is looking uncertain. But there's still plenty of people playing. I'm really looking forward to The Outer Worlds, I'm hearing very good things about it. And Fallout 4 was such a massive dissapointment for me, it sounds like Outer Worlds will do everything it should have.

If you're looking for people to play some games or just chat with, check out our Discord server. There's loads of people playing all different games, including ARMA. There's even a few guys doing game design at uni who can probably help you out with Unity queries when the time comes.