Game of Thrones stamp designs

@GCarlD

Game of thrones Stamps.jpg

I am a fan of Game of Thrones but not die-hard like the average fan seems to be. With the exception of last season, I personally think it is an overrated and overhyped TV series. Yes, I know I have just offended 90% of GoT fans... :p

Anyway, I thought I'd share this pretty cool set of Game of Thrones themed stamp designs! The only thing that niggles me is I think the silhouette of the Queen's head looks odd in the top left corner. Placed in the top right corner seems to restore the balance of good 'Feng Shui.'

Wardy

They look good!

I like watching GOT, not sure about overrated - hasn't it won the most ever Emmys for a tv show or something?
It's worth watching for the production values if nothing else - it always looks amazing, and can be quite funny too.

@GCarlD

hasn't it won the most ever Emmys for a tv show or something
Haha, yes, that is always the defence. My point of view is purely based on how good and how unmissable a TV show is, compared to how much it is overrated and overhyped. Is the hype and the general 'This is the best TV show to ever have been made in the past, present and future of planet Earth' rating justified? In my opinion, no. Last season is the only season where the hype was justified. I don't care about how many Emmys and awards a show wins, as that is all politics anyway, a bit like the Grammys. Stats like how many millions of people watch the show also is of no interest to me, as that just tells me is it popular. Popularity does not always equal greatness. Popularity often just shows how many sheep are following a trend. But that's just my opinion, sounds a bit like an unintentional rant haha my apologies :LOL:

Levi

Staff member
. Yes, I know I have just offended 90% of GoT fans... :p
I like all the myth and magic type stuff but I haven't even bothered watching GoT apart from a few episodes of the first season.... really weird considering my tastes in tv shows.

@GCarlD

I like all the myth and magic type stuff but I haven't even bothered watching GoT apart from a few episodes of the first season.... really weird considering my tastes in tv shows.
I am exactly the same. I only started to watch GoT 2/3 years ago, I binged the first few seasons (which isn't hard as there are only 10 eps in each season) but I love all the fantasy type stuff so I really should be another die-hard fan, but I'm not, I'm just a regular fan. The fact that you weren't hooked after the first few episodes kind of proves my point about the show being overrated and overhyped. I watched it because there was very little else on at the time, which also helps with their views, as they tend not to release the season's when there is a lot of TV competition on at the same time.

There are also a few things that really get on my nerves, like it being set in 'medieval' times, yet they occasionally use modern-day slang... Oh and that Ed Sheeran cameo! Like really? :X3:

Wardy

Yes, the Ed Sheehan bit was a low point.

I love some of the minor characters in it like Sam, Bronn and the Hound. I know what you mean though, I will look forward to seeing the final series
but it's not something I would rush to sit through again, unlike something like Breaking Bad for instance.

Paul Murray

Staff member
Never seen GOT. Friends keep telling me I should get into it but the fantasy setting doesn't really appeal to me. If I gave it a chance I'm sure I'd enjoy it but I'd need to be in the mood to sit down and give it a try.

The fact that you weren't hooked after the first few episodes kind of proves my point about the show being overrated and overhyped.
I with a lot of shows nowadays it can take me a few episodes to really get it. I love It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but the early seasons take a while to get to the point where they're recognisable in their current format. They're still funny and dark, but in a much different way to later the series. Same with Rick & Morty, tried to watch it, wasn't really that into it, then suddenly I got what all the fuss was about during episode 3 or something and have been a fan ever since.

There's a few series on Netflix at the minute that I've heard are good, but the early episodes aren't hooking me so I end up bored or lost as to what's happening.

@GCarlD

it's not something I would rush to sit through again, unlike something like Breaking Bad for instance.
Yeah it hasn't got much rewatchability (I know that is not a word haha), which is what I think makes a great show; wanting to watch something again and enjoy it just as much, even though you have already seen it.

Don't get me wrong, there are things I like about GoT but they are different and deeper reasons than what I'd imagine the average fan loves about the series. For example, I love the whole battle between warmth and cold (both literally and metaphorically) and the changes of seasons is so well integrated into the surface story without it being forced.

hankscorpio

Staff member
Don't get GoT - I never liked it and watched all of Season 1 and just do not get the attraction.

Don't get the purpose of the stamps - what's the point? Collector items? All this stuff goes over my head.

Design-wise - it's a picture of a fictional character with a fictional name and a silhouette.

I really do not understand the purpose of the stamps... surely there are real people in the world doing great things, meaningful things that could be honoured by putting their faces on stamps.

Stephen Hawkinh maybe? Brian Cox? Freddie Mercury?

I just don't get it...

Wardy

I think if nothing else, I would imagine GoT has brought a lot of jobs and money to (Northern?) Ireland.

The stamps are usually just for collectors I guess, just a way for the Post Office to make a bit of money.
I presume they still bring a few of these sets out each year. Wasn't there some Star Wars ones too recently?

@GCarlD

Don't get GoT - I never liked it and watched all of Season 1 and just do not get the attraction.

Don't get the purpose of the stamps - what's the point? Collector items? All this stuff goes over my head.

Design-wise - it's a picture of a fictional character with a fictional name and a silhouette.

I really do not understand the purpose of the stamps... surely there are real people in the world doing great things, meaningful things that could be honoured by putting their faces on stamps.

Stephen Hawkinh maybe? Brian Cox? Freddie Mercury?

I just don't get it...
Haha you can analyse them so much more than that from a design perspective.

But yep you're right, sadly that's the way of the world; we praise and worship the entertainment industry. Celebs/ famous people in general get honoured, but doctors, nurses, surgeons, the ambulance service, the fire brigade, you know, people that save lives, or have a meaningful impact on the world, no matter how big or small, don't get any real recognition.

scotty

Staff member
Having young kids I could never get into series as I'd always miss one and get out of the loop as we didn't have catch-up.
Then, my neighbour copied a few of them onto a hard drive and I was hooked.

LOVE Game Of Thrones as do I Walking Dead (although the last series wasn't as good IMO).

scotty

Staff member
Yeah, TWD was getting better and better until the last series.
It seemed to stuck in a lull.
The kind where you're waiting for it to kick off but it didn't seem to happen.

It also appeared to have taken on a bit of an artsy fartsy kind of vibe too.

Hoping it improves a bit.

@GCarlD

Do you mean this season (season 8) or last season (7) with the introduction of Negan?!?!

I heard they had to dumb down this season (8) as last season got a lot of complaints for being too violent...

scotty

Staff member
I was talking about that last half season that's just been on so I guess it's 8.

Yes, it did seem a lot tamer but also like they tried to make it more artistic if you get my drift.
There were quite a few bits that left us looking at each other and saying "Eh?".

Saying that the scene with Negan and Lucile was a bit shocking.

This season Carl got bitten on the tummy. o_O

hankscorpio

Staff member
Yeahh... Wait, I'm confused about this. So the cops knew that internal affairs were setting them up???