Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaining confidence..

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by Soprano, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Soprano

Soprano Member

Hi all.

I have been putting off taking a dive into freelancing for a while now, mainly because I lack in confidence in what I can (or can't) do.

I have no doubt I can take on projects, but with little support from those around I find I worry too much over what other people think - even when I have good feedback on things I have done!

I often think having a degree behind me would help but at the same time, I'm of the thinking that you don't need a piece of paper to say whether you can be a designer - your talent shines through in your work.

I would love to make a start on my portfolio site which would start the ball rolling in trying to get clients, but I also feel like I could do with more time to touch up my "skills" in different area's.

I know 110% that this is where I would love for my career to be, I just need a nudge in the right direction to keep me going! Does anyone have any tips on how to believe more in myself and my work? Have you found yourself in a similar position, how did you get out of it?

Thanks for any help! :icon_smile:

2. Poppy Design

Poppy Design Member

Hello there!

4 years ago if someone had said to me I would be running my own design company in 4 years time I would have never believed them! Like you I lacked in confidence and ability and having not been to university thought there was no way I was good enough!

However here I am 4 years later with a successful design company all of my own - granted I still have a lot to learn but then life would be a boring road if we knew everything to start with!

If you are getting good feedback on your work get going on that portfolio - believe me once you get started and get some clients, your confidence will soar!

Good luck!
    Joanne :icon_smile: