Future Of Graphic Design?

David,
Time is changed, most of the people want to pay per job and not per hour. So i would suggest you make packages for your services like Logo=£123 Brochure=£100 etc etc.
this way buyer will know what exactly i will have to pay for my project etc. rather than they wait for the design to finish when you want.
hope it make sense and will help you get your self back on the track.

Joe Public does have to learn that professionals will charge, and that they will take less time than the novice and will get the job done properly - therefore the value of the job is the point to stress.

We got a carpenter to come in to change the front door lock. The door is an odd size and part of the door had to be chiselled out. He took half an hour and took the door off the hinges and planed the bottom where it was sticking. It would have taken us half an hour to find the tools! Let the professionals do their job and pay them for it! If we keep accepting lower fees (and lower standards) then we are digging our own graves.

Hello,

As echoed on a previous post of mine, the FULL Adobe range of titles will be available on Tesco Entertainment website from midnight tonight. It truly is the full range including Standard & Student versions as well as PC & Mac.

You will also begin to see the whole selection in stock at the bigger Tesco stores as of 1st June.

Enjoy!

Hello,

As echoed on a previous post of mine, the FULL Adobe range of titles will be available on Tesco Entertainment website from midnight tonight. It truly is the full range including Standard & Student versions as well as PC & Mac.

You will also begin to see the whole selection in stock at the bigger Tesco stores as of 1st June.

Enjoy!

and the relevance of this post on this thread is....?

I'm right at the beginning of my designing journey... I don't claim to be a designer, and in fact anyone asks me I will happily say I am rubbish, especially compared to those who have been in the industry for years or just coming out of college, but I have come across some amazing opportunities in the past three years by literally going to people and offering them an idea, and convincing them it should happen.

A good example, I decided to create a magazine to compliment my website, I thought it would only get maybe a 100 readers and it wasn't meant to be serious, but we ended up with 11,200 readers over a six month period and had companies/individuals from all over the world coming to me asking to either do work for them, or asking to be included in the magazine.

I am now at the point where I have to step my game up - and asap - in order to compete and create something truly wonderful, and this will be a major uphill struggle, but I am up for the challenge, and the point is, perhaps you need to think out the box too, instead to trying to attract people to the norm such as flyers and that kind of thing, think about a service or product you can provide that others can't, and then don't be afraid to knock on doors to get up and running...

I am always up for people helping me out, I won't be paying (for now), but the plan is that if I can produce a magazine that can take on regular brands in terms of quality then we will be seeking advertisers for it, and then hey presto, we can pay staff to help us design it and everyone wins... Last year I made 9k through various projects relating to the magazine, but this year so far zero, so its time to practice what I preach, but if anyone wants to help out then we could work out a partnership arrangement ;) (not sure if I can post this here, but I won't be offended if the comment is edited!).

There is an oversupply of poor quality design out there, you even see it on the BBC! I have been in the industry for over 30 years and started as a paste-up artist before desktop publishing came in, I did an apprenticeship in typesetting. How many younger designers understand kerning, how often do you see it? The amount of times I see an ' inch mark used instead of quotation marks “ ‘ ’ ” just amazes me sometimes. Next time you watch have I got news for you, you’ll see the inch mark used instead of an apostrophe in their missing headlines. I don't blame the sloppy work as much as the people who are checking it and passing it! Liverpool airport has massive quotes from John Lennon on its walls, USING INCH MARKS!

I started out on my own 7 years ago after 23 years working in studios and agencies, I am also a print expert so can offer the complete package from creative design to finished print. I charge per hour or per job but my rate per hour is well over £25 and I think that is to low sometimes for the experience one has. I get printers referring me work or recommending me to clients who they are fed up with having to fix artwork for. Prestigious company names sending brochures without bleed etc etc. It is frustrating and I would not like to be starting out in this industry now at the start of my career.

Back