Freelancing

nylelevi

Hello

I am fairly new to freelancing and so far I am really enjoying it. I have a few clients which I managed to gain through word of mouth but they are not regular enough and I find it extremely difficult to find new clients. I wonder if there is something that I am missing or doing wrong. Do any fellow freelancers have suggestions about where I should be looking?

My website is nylelevi.com. I would be grateful for any advice you can share.

Thanks in advance!

The first thing I'd do (and probably the easiest) is to give your word-of-mouth network a bit of a shove: get in touch with everyone you've worked with and tell them you're looking for leads.

The first thing I'd do (and probably the easiest) is to give your word-of-mouth network a bit of a shove: get in touch with everyone you've worked with and tell them you're looking for leads.

This is what I do, just be honest and ask them if they can put you in touch with anyone, you'll be surprised how often something will turn up. You could also look at setting up some Adwords campaigns to try and drive traffic to your site, but you could find it expensive due to competitive search terms. That's not to guarantee you'll even convert the majority of your traffic either, but in theory you only need one or two to be ok.

Thank you both for your replies. I'll be sure to give the word of mouth network a bit of a shove as you say

You can do good seo for getting better ranking to your site which will give you many clients every day.

It's like they always say - It's not what you know, its who you know - So go out and get to know people!

Best piece of advice from me would be to use creative recruitment agents. They wont give you direct client leads, but they will get you freelancing in design studios. There you can make friends, develop skills and it can often lead to other opportunities.

99Designs.com and Freelancers.com And Upwork.com is the best website for freelancers

They're great sites if you don't want to actually earn a decent wage. Sites like this always favour the 'client' and designers are treated like commodities who are encouraged to compete solely on cost.

Anyone that wants to be taken seriously as a professional designer is well-advised to steer clear and seek out their own clients independently. That way you're free to negotiate your own terms and conditions and actually charge the going rate for your services.

99Designs.com and Freelancers.com And Upwork.com is the best website for freelancers
As I can see you IP (and as such you country) I'll say it straight... in a country where the living wage is considerably lower than the UK (this is a UK based forum) they may be seen as a good site for getting a good wage compared with others jobs.
In countries such as the UK where the cost of living is considerably higher those sites actually devalue the skills and services of those of us who are trained to do the job, I'd argue a high percentage of people on those sites are not as heavily trained as most designers in the UK.

In essence they're basically hated by professionals and should not be supported in any way manner or form.

Back