Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freelancing Hub Space

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Jonna Healey, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Jonna Healey

Jonna Healey Member

Hey guys

I've been wanting to set up a local freelancing hub where I live, kinda like hot-desking, as my home life is crazay at the moment. There is a great space in a town further down the county, but a bit too far to travel on the off chance you get a couple of hours free.

So anyway, I'm thinking maybe an industrial unit or large office space would be good, and to get a bunch of freelancers I know are in a similar position together to basically hire this space.

The question is funding. Ok, that's not a question, but I'm wondering if this kind of thing would be classed as a social enterprise, maybe? Or does anybody know if there's any funding for stuff like this? Grants would be great, as it's not a loan and repayable.

Cheers

(Here's the link to a similar thing down the way... http://www.thefactorykendal.com/)

2. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I know of a few shared spaces like that which seem to work quite well.

Not sure if NeonThunder rents something similar.

NeonThunder likes this.
  3. NeonThunder

NeonThunder Active Member

Im part of soar works http://www.soarworks.co.uk its an excellent building / project it perfect for all types of business and with it being social enterprise the rent is cheap :D as the money goes back into maintaining the building and the staff etc not to some greedy landlord.

What your looking would be classed as a social enterprise. i would suggest contacting princes trust and also look at ERDF funding.

Jonna Healey likes this.
  4. Jonna Healey

Jonna Healey Member

Yea that sounds kind of similar. So I'd have to look to set up a separate company as a social enterprise first then, eh?

5. NeonThunder

if your wanting to make money then a company, but if you set it up as a charity / social enterprise the tax benefits are better and you'll get more funding easily

6. Jonna Healey

Jonna Healey Member

No I don't want to profit from it. It'd be good if it made a profit, so that more money could be put back into it, but that's it.

7. NeonThunder

Social enterprise / charity it is :)