Freelancing and charging VAT

Yes, to clarify: I was wondering if it was better as a non-VAT registered trader dealing with a VAT registered client to a) invoice combined, leaving the client unable to reclaim VAT on printed material, or b) bill for my design services and supply the printer's invoice to enable the client to reclaim the VAT content.

Greg, I'm not planning on being VAT registered, so I can't include the VAT on my invoice.

I'd prefer (and expected) a combined invoice, but just wondered what others do.

I'd just do one bill, if the client has asked you to quote for design and print and knows your not VAT reg'ed then it's not really your problem that they can't claim the VAT back.

Ok might be going over a little what was said (I am vat registered)

The process for me generally goes

-VAT has to be paid by me in most cases (you can get some which skip the vat but we'll ignore that) - in this case it's printing
-I claim printing vat back
- on my invoice printing (non vat) is added to my fees (without vat) and then vat is charged for the total
- I get back or pay any differences in totals when I submit vat return
-the client is then billed by me with vat applied
-the client then claims my vat back

So in your situation as you don't charge vat the client can't claim it back so you'd just charge your fees plus the cost of printing including vat.

If they are vat registered it might be better financially for them to pay for the printing themselves as they can claim the vat back from the printer (if vat registered) if the get the invoice directly. If they have a lot of printing done it might even be worth looking into the options of an account with the printer which has you as an authorised user type affair.

I actually went vat registered as most of my clients are as well and it made more sense especially as I can claim back on my business purchases too :)

"If they are vat registered it might be better financially for them to pay for the printing themselves as they can claim the vat back from the printer (if vat registered) if the get the invoice directly."

Thanks Levi, that's what I was thinking.

"I'd just do one bill, if the client has asked you to quote for design and print and knows your not VAT reg'ed then it's not really your problem that they can't claim the VAT back."

And thanks Russell, I wondered if it was frowned upon if they couldn't.

I guess my questions have been answered. Cheers guys.

you could always ask the client which they would prefer and explain that as you are not vat registered they would not be able to claim the vat back on the printing etc. Obviously be careful as if all you are doing is in essence taking it to the printer you might lose out on work...but it would give them a choice etc and all businesses like to save money especially in the current climate

Back