Freelancer without a website

georgeuk

What are your thoughts on freelancing without a portfolio website (a custom domain URL)

Does it hurt to NOT have one?

If you have the skills and samples to send and you knock on doors all the time, why have a site?

It might hurt if you not one but, think of the advantage if you will have your own portfolio website.

Does it hurt to have one? A domain costs around £10 and a basic wordpress site is free.

You may get business as a result of customers coming across your site.
Customers can look at your whole portfolio in their own time.
You can point potential customers to your site via leaflets/business cards/PPC etc.

In this day and age not having one is unprofessional in my opinion.

What kind of freelancing are we talking about? If it's working exclusively for other studios then you can probably get by with just a PDF you email to commissioners. If it's working for yourself for your own clients, then yes, not having a site probably does hurt you. One of the first things potential clients ask me is if I have a website where they can view work.

If you're wanting to get work and clients then I'd say it's pretty essential.

I wouldn't say a custom site/url are as you can get a Behance profile or something similar for free and point people to that.

If you are new to the industry then yes, pretty much essential.

I was working freelance full time for three years before I had chance to put something together I was happy with, but I was lucky that I had clients who knew what I could do and some contacts made over the years. It wasn't ideal and I could've done with something sorted out sooner.

I'm still not completely happy with what I have, a designers worst client is himself and all that, but at least I have something to point people too and, on occasion, that people find and get in touch via.

Back