Freelance Vs Full Time £££

Pigonpie

Looking for abit of advice..

I'm currently freelance at a studio on a day rate of £250, I have been there for a few months on and off. But almost every week.

The same company have now offered me a full time senior role, I have a discussion with them next week about pay and if I want to take it.

What sort of pay should I ask for? Should I go in high and hope they meet me in the middle? Anyone had past exp of this?

Any advice would be great
Thanks!

I'd be asking for £250 a day, at least 6 weeks paid holiday (seems to be a legal requirement...) and obviously make sure I'm geting paid for sick days....

Simply put why would you want to do a potentially 'harder' job for less than you're already being paid...

That works out at about 65k per year base rate which would then have extra pensions, taxes, NI etc taken out or covered by the employer.

Will you guys get real! Since when do you equate freelance rates to a regular salary?

They're offering him a job to save paying him £250 a day. What's the average for a senior designer these days - £35-40,000?
Depends on your experience of course. Ask for £40k and see what they say?

He's probably not got a choice. Surely they're offering him a job because they can't afford to keep
paying him £250 every day?

Why are they wanting to employ you?

As I see it you have the upper hand and just see what they offer.
There are benefits of being an employee and also draw-backs that you need to balance out and they are not all financial.

If they low ball you just go back to them with the maths.
No-body can argue with the maths.

I have first hand experience of this scenario. I was working on a daily rate for an agency who kept offering me more and more work. I was making about £3000 - 3500 a month from them for the equivalent of about 2.5 days a week. They offered me a permanent role which I turned down as I was happy with how things were. Within weeks the work started to dry up and eventually stopped all together because they'd hired a full time developer.

The long and short of it is that your client has identified a need for the company to employ a full time senior. It doesn't matter if thats because of workload, cost saving etc..., If they don't employ you, they will employ somebody else and your freelance work with them will stop. You need to speak to them, see what's on the table and decide if you want to go into an employed role. If not, do you have enough other freelance work to keep the wolves from the door when this income stream dries up?

Will you guys get real! Since when do you equate freelance rates to a regular salary?

At the end of the day they want to hire you, because you are working with them and producing things they like. As I said, it's a starting point. I don't feel £60k a year is high in terms of getting in someone that will be there full time, doing more work, and building the buisness with you. At the end of the day, when you start working there you will be inunadated with design work. More than you had before.

Why would you do more work for less money?

Let us know how you get on as it may help others in the same boat.

And the rest of us are just nosey!

Yes, sorry I should have said.

They are looking to employ a Senior design either way and then won't need me potentially.

Had a good chat with them and asked for 45k which they seemed okay with.

Back