Freelance graphic design magazine

clord

Hey,

I am currently working on my final major project for a BA Graphic Design course. For this project I want to create a magazine aimed directly at freelance designers. I am aware of magazines like Creative Review, Design weekly and Graphik etc. But none of these are aimed directly and specifically at what I want.

What I would like from you for my initial research is for you to answer this question:

In the context of a magazine for/on Freelance Graphic Design, what kind of topics/ information/ resources would interest and benefit you?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris.

What I want.....hmmm....

Maybe the best pieces of graphic design that you have seen that month?
Really inspirational designs?
Daring designs...

Information on nice and unuasual vector downloads? istockphoto etc?
Cool tips and tricks for programs such as illustrator photoshop and indesign and flash

Reader write ins....their designs put up for critique by a "critique" member of your magazine team (understand you wont have one right now but could be a fictional person to start with) - or of course critqued by yourself

The rebranding of large corporate companies and your opinions? then the next month a small section with readers emails showing their views? For example, the coco cola rebrand and vauxhall etc

The latest on technology for designers...the new macbook, or increased processors in the macbook pro etc. Adobe CS4, pros and cons etc

Unknown online resources that youve found....font resources, vectors...forums ;) etc

Fonts - your favourites, yours most hated, viewers favourites and viewrs most hated

The magazine defiantely needs a design with the "WOW" factor and needs to be very graphical. Gallery sections and the like are a must!

Thanks for the quick reply!

There are some useful things there, so thanks.

And feel free to post anymore if you think of any ;)

Chris.

I like the sound of that too.

Maybe information on HOW to perform a freelance job from start to finish as well for the benefit of new comers. Contract info and such

yes I like the sound of that too!

I think these things would work well in the form of an interview with the Designer in question.

Thanks again!

Well I think it would be good to have info on the day to day issues of running a freelance business. You can find bits and bobs online but if a magazine existed I'd get it. So articles such as:

what legal steps you need to take to register as a sole trader
tips on what expenses you can claim against tax
advice on dealing with clients, payment, invoices and reviews of specific small business software
marketing articles, tips for effectively marketing yourself/ business
Networking do's and don'ts
a week in the life of... see how other freelancers work
how to approach new clients
advice on budgeting, business plans, marketing plans

etc

I used to do freelance Magazine design (for FHM, Marie Claire and some smaller Real Estate Magazines) .. only one problem with that... there are too many people wanting to do that ... its a very VERY cut-throat industry with Magazine design.

chrismitchell said:
I used to do freelance Magazine design (for FHM, Marie Claire and some smaller Real Estate Magazines) .. only one problem with that... there are too many people wanting to do that ... its a very VERY cut-throat industry with Magazine design.

Hmm, seems you got the wrong end of the stick there Chris....

Anyway, I would like to see the same things that Russell wanted.

Having said that I do think that there should be a strong emphasis on the creative inspiration aspect of the magazine (and any design magazine).

Oops.. sorry only read a part of the post LOL :p pays to read the threads a bit more carefully LOL

LOL well its easy enough if you have the experience.. and you want no social life at all... the work is very intense for magazine design from my experience (especially for a weekly publication), did do some work for The Independent too many years ago and that was even more insane...

Where to get good free stock images, fonts, brushes ect.. Good books.. Lots of imagery. I'm a sucker for a really good image.

Advice on charging (per client and job) would be incredibly useful too..

Thanks for all of the replies!

I think good examples of work has to be a given! I would like to approach the 'showcase' idea differently than what other magazines do though.

Please keep the ideas flowing.

Thanks again,

Chris.

Back