Free work for portfolio?

TomStutt

Hi

Im new to freelance designing and really need to get a portfolio. I would like to undertake some work free of charge just so i have enough for a portfolio.

if anyone is interested then please get back to me and if anyone knows a good place where i can offer these services then please can you let me know.

Thanks

Hello Tom,

Instead of working for free, possible create a brief for yourself, could be anything from a branding campaign, stationery kit...logo etc.

Other option is a re-design, find a design/website that you feel needs a redesign.

i was thinking about doing stationary for friends and i probably will but i wanted a live job to do. something where i deal with a customer just to get some experience.

i will probably make up some stationery and logos etc. thanks

Just make up a client, its a lot easier so you wont loose out on too much time and you can work in styles you particularly like, if not PM berry im sure he would send you some briefs his company have worked on, see what you come up with (you might have to change the name of the company though to avoid dispute)

Hi Tom,

Why not try contacting some local charities or sports clubs that would be interested in having some free design work done? That way you can get some interesting projects to work on, but at the same time they'll be live projects that you can use in your portfolio :)

Good luck!
Greg

I'll post a couple of re-tweaked briefs for brand development for anyone who wants to play about.

Greg, can I upload Pdfs for download?

Hi Berry,

Unfortunately not, if you can e-mail them to me (gregATgregfindley.com) I can upload them and post the links or maybe just easier if Tom PM's you his e-mail... :)

Greg

Hi Greg

Thanks for the heads up with charities. I email 4 this morning and one has just phoned me about re-tweaking there site. The site itself i fine but there is no colour or design to it so he wants me to make it look more attractive.

Thanks again.

quick brief: I've saved as a jpeg, It may or may not work for download,
Failing that just PM me an email address and I'll whizz it off. I'll dig out some other briefs, for web, brand, posters, brochures & ads etc in due time

2qsnj2e.jpg

TomStuttDesign said:
Thanks for the heads up with charities. I email 4 this morning and one has just phoned me about re-tweaking there site. The site itself i fine but there is no colour or design to it so he wants me to make it look more attractive.

Good work Tom, if possible try and get a full design brief from them, and if they don't know what they want in terms of putting a brief together get a set of questions over to them, so you can really get to grips with what they need the website to do in terms of attracting interest/sponsorship, etc.

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes :up:

Always always always ask them what they are expecting to gain from their website. 9 times out of 10 they dont know, they havent thought about it they just know they "need a website" because all the web development companies tell them that.

Also, put yourself in your users shoes, what are they actually on the website for? what information do they actually need and whats the best way to display all of the information.

Back