Free figure posing app software

nightofjoy

I've just come into possession of a second hand ipad which I'm using to help with my illustration work. I was looking at Youtube tutorials, and found one by a girl who was demonstrating various apps, and she showed a free 3D figure posing app that looked pretty cool, but she moved along before revealing exactly what it was called.

I was wondering, can anyone suggest some decent free or low cost figure posing apps for the ipad? The focus wouldn't need to be on custon beuilding my own 3D characters to draw from, off-the-shelf pre-made human figures would be fine, just so long as I can pose & rotate them.

Thanks.

Hi.

Yeah, there are a few out there, I was hoping someone might be able to tell me which is the best, without me having to download and try them all...

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me which is the best, without me having to download and try them all...
The best anything is often subjective. You might prefer one tool over another based on your needs and what you need to do. Software is a pretty personal affair.

I'd start the the top rated and if they have a trial or demo available, start with the top and work down until you find a package that fits your needs.

I've been illustrating in one way or another for 30 years, but due to a crippling anxiety that's getting steadily worse, I find myself unable to get the pictures out of my head. It's like a block that I can't get through.

More than likely, I'm going to have to find an illustrator to develop the stories I want to share, but I need help even storyboarding them. When it comes to drawing these days, I can't make the brain communicate with the hand, so if i can get basic poses via a 3d human figure app, I'll use that and draw over any details I need.

The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking it might need to be a paid app, as I have further questions about what can be done with these packages.

For example, does anyone know if there's a 3d app that deals with figures and can build basic rooms too? I mean without getting into the complex mechanics of 3d software, where you can add walls, doors, windows, basic blocks of furniture, and then place a basic 3d figure within?

I'm not going to waste too much time agonising about not illustrating a story myself. It might take 6 months to finish a single panel. I'd be happy as the writer providing I can put together a storyboard with basic directions...

Thanks.

I can't help with your main question, but have you thought of alternative ways of doing it? It may seem obvious, but if I have a specific pose to work out and
I can't find the perfect sourced photos, I grab a camera and take a few shots of family members (or they do of me).

Are you sure you're not going into too much unnecessary detail? I really feel for your anxiety problems, that must be awful. I have second hand experience of it and one
of the symptoms is a fixation on wanting perfection. I understand that you're trying to do them yourself, but will it really help you in the long term if they are going to take you
a so long to do? Pass it on to an illustrator (and I'm not touting for work, figures are not my forte) who will be able to take your story and do all the sketching/storyboarding for you.

Hi.

Yeah, I am going to pass it onto an illustrator eventually, and propose it as a collaboration, but I want to storyboard the thing first to get the basics down and give some direction.

I do have some people I can ask to pose, but not to get the angles and settings i need. I'm currently looking into 3d storyboarding software. I just need to be able to build a basic room - say, with a table, bed, door & window etc and place a couple of basic figures, say male & female, then add details and captions/directions myself. If I can set up each frame and take a shot of it at the correct angle, I can hand draw the details over the top....

I'd really like to be able to do it all in one place - sitting at my mac, rather than have to break to go take photos & stuff, as that will make the process more difficult for me and likely stop me from moving forward...

It sounds like a lot of work to me, but I suppose it may save time and costs for your illustrator down the line.

You will probably have to fork out for decent software though. Sketchup would be ideal for the rooms, but the basic
one maybe wouldn't fit your needs.

Hi.

Yeah, I had a play around with sketchup a few years ago and found it a bit complicated. Ideally I'd like everything in the software/app I find to be preset, say chair, bed, table etc, which you can place & just drag to resize.

Still don't know if anything like this even exists. Starting to realise I am probably going to have to pay for a decent piece of software, but I don't have much choice, as my brain doesn't work in a way anymore that can draw stuff like perspective, & 3d spaces.

If it were me, I would spend that money on a decent illustrator who can do all that work for you. Give them a decent brief and leave them to it,
they will probably come up with some suggestions that may work better for the images anyway.

I know from experience that clients can sometimes use a lot of unnecessary time putting a very detailed brief together, only for it to change
when a better idea comes along. Use your extra time on the next story.

That won't work. I struggle to communicate my ideas. I can't for example, speak to someone directly about it. There is no next story. I need a solution for this one.

I have a set of very specific, very unusual circumstances, and I just need to find a tool to help with what I need. Usual rules do not apply.

Back