Free Downloads?

scotty

Ultimate Member
Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to make files free to download?

You know, the way you can "click here for free download".

I have an old tut that I wanted to post and make the files available to people.

Are there sites that do this kind of thing?

Well I suppose we could do a sticky 'free stuff' thread on the forum.
You could add a 'free stuff' page to your website
Maybe somewhere like graphic river, they do do free stuff.
You've got file silo's, but wouldn't use that unless you've got limited bandwidth

How are you wanting to post the tutorial as that will likely determine the best option, if for example you're adding a tutorial page then the easiest option would be a link directly from your website (ie 'click here to download resource files') which allows them to save stuff to their own pc, but I wouldn't advise that if you've got a limited amount of bandwidth on your hosting.

So...I can either put it on my own host but I'd really need unlimited bandwidth which I 'think' I do but I'd need to find out how to do it.

Use an external download site and link to it.

Use GDF's server.

To be honest, I'm not that web savvy so I guess the easiest option would be best for me and I know that sounds lazy but I am trying to learn.

Just to fill you in.
It's just a character design/Ai tutorial I was asked to do for a big tut's company but they wanted to make it premium and I wanted it to be free so I didn't let them have it.
It's been sat unseen for years and I just wanted to put it on my blog with a download to the free Ai file that accompanies it.

Something like this isn't going to be downloaded millions of times in one go, your own hosting would probably be fine to be honest. However, if you get stuck just send me the file and I will send you the URL to link to.

Something like this isn't going to be downloaded millions of times in one go, your own hosting would probably be fine to be honest. However, if you get stuck just send me the file and I will send you the URL to link to.

I can't quite see it going into the millions although I am working on my SEO so you never know. PFFF! :D

I'll have a look at how to do it as I should really learn but don't be surprised if I take you up on your kind offer. ;)

If using wordpress, in the blog post just select add media, you should be able to just upload the file which will automatically link to it in the post.

Whoah! Nice one! I'll give that a pop.

BTW. Do you mind if I just call you "Stationary" from now on or do you feel that's being a bit too Direct? ;)

Back