Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

forum question

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by jraudus, Jan 16, 2012.

1. jraudus

jraudus Junior Member

Hello, please could someone tell me what a TrackBack is?

I filled out the tags on my introduction but when I click on them they link back to my forum post not my site. Is this because I didn't fill out the TrackBack?

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

3. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

I love that.

Surely it's quicker to just google it than creating a new thread and waiting for a reply? How come you didn't try that first? (genuine question)

4. jraudus

jraudus Junior Member

i'm totally confused by both those replys lol oh wait there the google it comment was dierected to me not levi, hmmm well i did google it but thought someone could explain better, is it just about pinging my website? how does that help?

levi your msg made no sense, ps i love norwich :)

5. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

Okay, I will list out in steps, my method for understanding what a trackback is.

1. Go to google; type: What is a trackback?

2. Look at results:

1. Definition for trackback:

Web definitions:A trackback is one of three types of linkbacks, methods for Web authors to request notification when somebody links to one of their...en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackback
      More info »Source - Wikipedia
    Trackback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackback
    A trackback is one of three types of linkback methods for website authors to request notification when somebody links to one of their documents. This enables ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so what have we learned from 5 seconds of typing? That it's a type of linkback method. What's that? Hmmm, I bet you can guess what I'm going to do next ;)

3. Google: What is a linkback method? Funnily enough it gives us the exact same wiki article on the subject at the top of the listings. I will now explain in detail how I proceed from here this point:

3.1 Put hand on mouse
    3.2 Wiggle mouse until cursor is over the wiki link
    3.3 Push down with my finger over the left mouse button to activate link.
    3.4 Activate my eyes and start reading.

So as you can see, there are three forms of link back methods; Refback, Trackback and Pingback, the details of which are in the wiki.

Now, in my opinion that hasn't really answered the question of what it actually is, so on to step 4. Using my computer based knowledge I can tell it's a technique that you would apply in a technical sense, so I can word my google search accordingly.

4. Google: How to use link back?

The first result is:
    What are backlinks and how do I use them? - Blogger Help

support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer...
    21 Dec 2011 – Bob then goes to his own blog and writes a post of his own about it, linking back to Alice's original post. Now Alice's post will automatically show ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so it's from Google itself, so should be a pretty reliable source of information, let's take a look at the sites content and what it says:

Backlinks enable you to keep track of other pages on the web that link to your posts. For instance, suppose Alice writes a blog entry that Bob finds interesting. Bob then goes to his own blog and writes a post of his own about it, linking back to Alice's original post. Now Alice's post will automatically show that Bob has linked to it, and it will provide a short snippet of his text and a link to his post. What it all works out to is a way of expanding the comment feature such that related discussions on other sites can be included along with the regular comments on a post.

Ahh, that's much clearer. Isn't it? Perhaps you're not completely convinced that you could answer the question of what a trackback is though, so let's hit the back button on our browser and try something else.There are lots of different terms in which you can Google to find out more information on the subject, all you need to do is use that thing inside your head ;)

Typing all that out took a very long time for what was essentially less than 2 minutes of typing and reading, which is why it's annoying to have to explain such things when it's really quite a simple thing to understand. It's also why people in a professional design forum don't appreciate being asked simple questions to which the answer can be found very quickly and very simply. Now, if you were to ask a question such as: In your experience, what type of clients do you find to be the easiest to work with? Whilst I would personally still be able to use my search engine abilities to find lots of information on the subject of client categorisation, perhaps not everyone would be able to. So it's a nice type of question to ask and allows people to talk about their experiences to help others.

Any other questions? ;)

6. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

press link in my first post, click first result and you have your answer.....

Norwich.... boring place lol