Forest Advertising Redesign

Timmo said:
It's just a side project and I don't make any money from it so I didn't want to spend to much time on it.

I don't understand why you'd want to do it at all then (or post it up for critique)? I remember seeing the old versions of this, so if you don't want to spend too much time on it, then why do a redesign? Even though you're not getting paid, why not try and push yourself as far as you can? It's always nice to have something for your portfolio, and you might also pick up a few new tricks and techniques a long the way. And as Berry always says "You're only as good as your last piece of work". ;)

Sorry, but It looks to me like you just did a half arsed job. I think you could do a lot more with that.

The white background in the header looks odd. Use a larger image that spans the whole way across (and a better quality one, looks fuzzy) or fade it out somehow. Use something else for contrast maybe, It doesn't work when it's cut off like that I think. The gradient background doesn't work at all with the rest. Perhaps just keep it in different hues of green and then white? You could also incorporate the green in the footer maybe.

Links look weird right aligned, in the RHS column and needs some more styling.

Typography is weak overall.

Submenus have squares/borders around them?

There's a white gap between the menu and the content.

There are no areas of interest or call to actions at all. Nothing draws my eye. You need to grab peoples attention. What's the purpose of the site? To get people to advertise? It needs to be way more obvious and you need to create more interest in signing up or whatever it is you want people to do on the site.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps in some way!

Oh I finally see why you're company is called FOD Design ;)
And I do agree with Soren. Unless you're up to your neck in (paid) work, why would you let this one hang? I see the site on your portfolio, so you're diminishing it by posting up bad work. You can't add a description on your portfolio saying "I didn't get paid so screw them".

On the site itself, I would actually like you to self-evaluate and let us know what you think of it, before I comment on it myself.

Got to agree with Aarlev and Onartis.
If the site is linked on your site as example work then it should be of a high standard etc to encourage employers.

You may not be getting paid to do this site but I'm sure this site could get a fairly good local search rating so it could be a very good opportunity to advertise your services but for some reason you've neglected to mention your work on the site anywhere on the homepage.

Levi said:
You may not be getting paid to do this site but I'm sure this site could get a fairly good local search rating so it could be a very good opportunity to advertise your services but for some reason you've neglected to mention your work on the site anywhere on the homepage.

Agree with Levi on this point, if there's not much established competition for a local directory this site could be a great opportunity. Do you think you've done the best you can with the new design? If you was a potential advertiser would you be interested in advertising on the site?

Back