Football Programme Advice

NickD1

Hi,

I am helping to create a football programme front cover for a Welsh League side. They are my local team and I do write reports for them in my spare time as I am an aspiring journalist. But, to help out for the upcoming season we are creating a new programme. As the people helping to create this have very limited experience in creating a programme, I have come here to get advice on two ideas I have already made.

Ammanford Programme 1.jpgAmmanford Programme 2.png

I feel the first is better than the second, however it does still feel a little bland. Any help you could give us would be appreciated. Many Thanks!

:welcome: to the forums!

Just a friendly reminder to review the FAQ when you get a chance, no big hurry on it. We're a friendly bunch here and I hope you enjoy your stay.
Graphic Design Forums: A friendly forum for UK designers FAQ

Your links are showing up quite small so it's very hard to review them. Can you post them larger, or a download link to a larger image file?

Thank you, I am very inexperienced at this so I'm sure I'll stick around to get some tips from the members.

Sure, here are their links:

Gyazo - 624a89f72dd8e70cff9f9c1f3930216a.png

Gyazo - f0911f504f36a622863c16bfeb4b8b1f.png

I like them. They work. I presume they are just covers for the programme?

Question: Why is "Lets Kick Racism Out of Football" only on one cover?

Most people are happy to supply hi-res logos for use on programmes. You should contact the relevant clubs/companies and get the official logos.

Brand identity is important!

I'm kinda torn between the 2 but I kinda like the 2nd one.

How are you creating the artwork?

I'm glad you like them! Yes, just the covers but I will be formatting the layout for the inside in the next few weeks.

I'm not really sure, I guess it fitted better on the first and I forgot about it for the second. I prefer the second by a long mile but it's still a bit plain. Needs some sort of feature to it. I shall do that and contact the relevant sites soon! I didn't think of that.

I am using Graphics Image Manipulation Programme, namely GIMP, to make it. It is a free version of Photoshop, but it does lack some of the tools the Adobe software has.

Well... I'm not a fan of "freeware" so I won't go into it.

Is Photoshop/Corel/Gimp/Xara/etc. the correct tool for a brochure cover? No... no it's not.

Not only does GIMP not support CMYK (the primary colour model for print reproduction), it doesn't support RGB or Pantone modules.

Nothing wrong with freeware.... except the technicalities that follow them that restrict them from real deal out there.

Well, being that the club are in Welsh League Division 2, they aren't really in the situation where they can pay for programmes and frankly neither am I. But, I am finding GIMP okay to work with. But, who knows how it will turn out.

Any tips for changing the design though?

It's so indepth mate

72 dpi good for web

300 dpi prefered for print

but the 300 dpi or ppi is a myth, it completely depends on LPI

Tips on changing the design????

Well that's up to you!

There are other freeware better suited to designing the progamme.

Check out Scribus, it's a bit like InDesign but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

There's a tonne of tutorials on Scribus too.

It's not the professional's choice, but it's a good start.

Try to work with hi-res imagery, for printing it makes a huge difference.

Good luck!

Back