Food Diversity Logo

theking79

The brief is to create a logo that represents the city of Birmingham's culinary diversity.

it has to be able to be implemented in a lot of different contexts and the logo must be able to be displayed at participating restaurants to show their contribution to Birmingham's culinary diversity.

This is one of my first ideas that i need to refine, but I would like some critique before i go any further.

The idea behind the logo is that the B is meant to look like it is biting the 'BITE BIRMINGHAM' text, im not sure if it is obvious enough. The other thing about this logo is that i wanted to make a very dynamic logo, as you can see from the different takes on it, the logo with the image inside it will be used for advertisements, brochures etc. to represent each country's food.

Picture2-37.png

Picture1-54.png

The font for the B immediately reminds me of the Odeon logo:
odeon-logo.jpg

Not sure if you'd consider this good or bad since food and cinema are both all about entertainment in the city. Funnily enough it seems less like the Odeon logo on the bottom one.

Incidentally, if anyone here finds themselves in the centre of Birmingham, I highly recommend a little tiny doorway that sells the best (and possibly biggest) bacon sarnies IN THE WORLD. It's called Satisfactory, and it saved me from quite a few hangovers on a stag weekend.

I don't think the B looks like it's eating anything at the moment. Also your using a lot of capitals and sharp edges.

food_court.gif
logo_good_food.jpg

If you do a bit of digging you may find that brands often try to associate food with comfort and thus use softer bezzier edges.

If you carry on with the B eating the logo thing, try to give it some playful PacMan connotations, otherwise look at loads of similar logos and and their similarities and try to establish why they work and which of the elements would best suite your project.

all the best.

The plates concept is a bit obvious but if you are going to use them as a graphic device, then you need to create something unique or interesting in your illustration so it doesn't just look like 2 circles.

I'm not keen on your choice of using different colours to represent cultural diversity...the colours you picked are too random and don't have an obvious link to anything food related.

One idea could be the keep the concept of the circle but add graphic elements to break out of the shape in a subtle way (noodles, chopsticks, fork, etc etc)

There are some great logo websites online (logodesignlove, logopound, logolounge) that should be able to give you some inspiration.

Sorry if my feedback was a bit harsh.

Designmatic said:
There are some great logo websites online (logodesignlove, logopound, logolounge) that should be able to give you some inspiration.

Sorry, but I do think there are not too many really professional logos to be seen there ... graphic-exchange.com is quite nice :)

I like the idea behind the large B logo, maybe add some teeth to the B to make it look like it is biting and develop that further. I wouldnt have got that if it wasnt for your explanation.

Not so keen on the plate idea but if you want to develop it I would suggest adding to the circles to make them look more plate like (either add shadows/highlights or show a fork sticking out etc)

It's weird that you don't think there are many professional logo's on Logo Design Love

Not only is the website devoted to the design of logos and visual identities from around the world, but David Airey (the guy behind the website), has also released a great book on creating visual identities.

Fair enough if you don't like the site but you can't say they logo's featured are not professional..

Designmatic said:
It's weird that you don't think there are many professional logo's on Logo Design Love

Not only is the website devoted to the design of logos and visual identities from around the world, but David Airey (the guy behind the website), has also released a great book on creating visual identities.

Fair enough if you don't like the site but you can't say they logo's featured are not professional..

Im guessing he meant more the likes of logopond which showcase loads of logos that have been designed purely for the sake of showing them off. In that sense they arent proper logos because they have no constraints of a real brief. I agree though that Logo Design Love isnt one of those sights so that wasnt a good example. (Im currently reading David Aireys LDL book, it really is excellent)

P.S thanks Minimalist for the graphic-exchange link, there is some gorgeous work on there! Great suggestion.

@Designmaic: I am sorry. Of course you are right, logodesignlove is featuring professional logos. I merely read over your suggestions and logodesignlove did not register :eek: Admit it, you hid that for me to stumble over it, didn’t you ...! ;)

@davewill: Thank you for trying to clear this up, your guess was right :eek: Yeah, graphic exchange is really nice, haven’t come across any other site quite like it yet ... Although I am subscribed to the rss-feeds of lots of other sites that are not logo-specific, and sometimes quite beautiful things pop up. For example, one day lovely package sent this beauty here. The packaging is quite nice, but what I really love is the logo :love:

Liking the new font choices, but you need to fix the kerning of the first i in "birmingham".

The purple ones nice, you can open illustrator and add a shadow to the top shape, give the effect of 2 plates , narrow the shadow down and your good to go

this is new concept, just playing around with different ideas at the min.

there is a danger with this one looking too much like pac-man...

Picture1-55.png

Picture3-23.png

Hmm yeah, capcom might have something to say about that one, like it tho. But that's just me being nerdy.

I gotta admit, I thought Pacman ctraight away before Id even read the comment. Why not use the same idea but execute it in a different way? Add teeth / a face / a more oblong shape / some hair / a nose etc Just anything to make it unique. What about adding some bite marks to the B of Birmingham too?

davewill said:
I gotta admit, I thought Pacman ctraight away before Id even read the comment. Why not use the same idea but execute it in a different way? Add teeth / a face / a more oblong shape / some hair / a nose etc Just anything to make it unique. What about adding some bite marks to the B of Birmingham too?

so you think if i added teeth or something it wouldnt look like pacman?

I think the idea is nice, but there are 101 ways to execute it. What you have done is nice and simple and effective, but sadly has too many similarities to an existing icon (pacman)

So you need to do something to make it different.

The idea of the 'e' eating the word Birmingham could work, but you need to find a way to make it work that is unique to this piece of work. If that means adding teeth or changing the shape or the angle or the size or whatever then try it!

I think your going back in the wrong direction, and the second one looks anything but appetising. Re-visit you second batch and try refining and tweaking it.

Back