Fonts

Carbellapatford

Hello,

I'm starting out freelance designing logos and I am feeling a little nervous and confused about the whole licensing of fonts incase I am not understanding it properly and I want to get things right from the get go.

Firstly, why are things like this not covered at college or uni? Seems like thereshould be a whole term spent on it.

Anyway,
What I understand is if I purchase a licence for a commercial font to use ( is this made out in the designers or the clients name?) in a logo I am to then convert the logo into outlines prior to giving it to client so that cannot edit it, if they want to edit it or pass to another designer they are to purchase their own licence. i am also to give them guidelines/agreement saying that the use of this font is for this project only. (Does this mean that it can be used throughout print, web, tv etc. Under the same licence?) Or solely for a logo design.

When using a commercial free font, do you still need to do the above?

Another idea I had to avoid the licensing all together was to create each logo myself using sketches of my logo idea and hand rendered fonts, which I scan into illustrator to vectorise my idea, this way I am not using anyones typeface more like creating and outline of my own, is this acceptable?

I am raring to go freelance and brimming with ideas but the lack of understanding or confusion on this part is holding me back.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

As bad as this is going to sound... it literally all depends on the license of the font you've picked in regards to pre-made fonts.

As to your own custom lettering, you shouldn't fall into any issues there imo although it will make changes harder and take more time etc..... and time is money, it's not like you can charge time for drawing your own font when it's the same as a normal font you could have just picked up.

Another idea I had to avoid the licensing all together was to create each logo myself using sketches of my logo idea and hand rendered fonts, which I scan into illustrator to vectorise my idea, this way I am not using anyones typeface more like creating and outline of my own, is this acceptable?
If you copy an existing font you will be infringing copyright.

Just check the font license if it can be used in logos.

Most are fine. Outlining usually isnt necesarry.

Thats a hangover from yesteryear prepress technologies who needed fonts outlined for the RIP.

Some printers still insist on outlined fonts. But they are stuck in the past.

Technically you should create an SVG version of a logo in LAB colours with fonts in tact.

And you can use that same file across print and web without having to create a zillion versions of it.

Anyway, check the license. Most are ok for using in a logo. You may need extended licenses (pay a bit more) for very large print runs or TV etc.

There are people out there actually creating commercial work with fonts they haven't got licences for though. What about these posters we see everywhere now, with phrases on? Its mad how some people are just winging it.

There are people out there actually creating commercial work with fonts they haven't got licences for though. What about these posters we see everywhere now, with phrases on? Its mad how some people are just winging it.
A poster is not a logo. Words on a page are not logos.

Most licenses cover things like logos and commercial use a d personal use.

What was said about copying a font was meant that if you didnt have a font and redraw that font then you infringe copyright.

As long as you purchase the font, read the license and agree to its use then you are ok.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

So I was reading up more and saw that some designers buy the font and which they use for a client once then store it away never to use again which how do you do this delete it?

Also do you have to inform the client that they are not to use the logo on certain mediums under my licence or if they want to try should purchase their own licence.

It's a mine field isnt it! Just want to do things right from the offset.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your advice.

So I was reading up more and saw that some designers buy the font and which they use for a client once then store it away never to use again which how do you do this delete it?

Also do you have to inform the client that they are not to use the logo on certain mediums under my licence or if they want to try should purchase their own licence.

It's a mine field isnt it! Just want to do things right from the offset.

Thanks

If they want to use that font they buy the license.

Send them a copy of the license it usually comes in .txt format.

It's all explained.

Back