font purchasing

Renniks

So doing some daily browsing and found that costs of certian font packages are alot more than I ever expected.

Wondering what peoples practise is for this.

Do you look for alternatives to those great fonts that cost a lot?

Do you purchase them as you feel you need them (when you feel they will work)?

Have you purchased some of the popular fonts realising you will need them at some point?

Have you purchased alot of fonts just so the list you have access to is greatly enhanced?

Is there other cheaper ways of getting some font licenses legally (do certain softwares contain the font where the software costs less than the font license) ?

Is it better to rely on the free fonts?

Just after some other peoples thoughts :D

(Also whats the licensing law on someone else supplying me with a picture of the font in the words I want, for a logo / poster / etc.)

I've purchased some of the most popular fonts that you can't go wrong with. Avenir, Futura, Myriad, Frutiger, Clarendon, Rockwell etc. And then I just buy new fonts as I go along if I feel that they fit, and I need them for a certain project. Sometimes I'll use free fonts from Font Squirrel if they're decent.

Font squirrel seems like a highlight reel for all the free sites, das good!

I've got soooo many fonts, that have now just been moved from computer to computer to computer, but it does mean I've got the standards covered. Quite often if I see a font I like, because of its character, i'll have a crack at making something similar myself!

But then again, I have bought them when the job requires it!

Hi guys I was using dafont.com although its not as good as font squirrel so I think ill make the change!

Does anybody know where I could download some of the most regularly used fonts at a reasonable price some font libraries i have checked charge 100's and sometimes 1000's for a font

Aarlev said:
I've purchased some of the most popular fonts that you can't go wrong with. Avenir, Futura, Myriad, Frutiger, Clarendon, Rockwell etc. And then I just buy new fonts as I go along if I feel that they fit, and I need them for a certain project. Sometimes I'll use free fonts from Font Squirrel if they're decent.

Pretty reasonable advice there. Having a list of classic fonts is a great way to build a base

Font Squirrel is a great place. You can also search for Free fonts on myfonts.com. If you use the advanced search, you can set it to search for fonts that have a price of no more than 0. Some nice fonts there :)

I also tend to try and find similar fonts if I can't quite afford something, sometimes the similar font works out better anyhow :)

Chincherry said:
Hi guys I was using dafont.com although its not as good as font squirrel so I think ill make the change!

Does anybody know where I could download some of the most regularly used fonts at a reasonable price some font libraries i have checked charge 100's and sometimes 1000's for a font

DaFont is ok... only problem is you sometimes end up with issues PDFing freebie fonts that aren't so well made (If you're PDfing things that is). But you can always convert to curves (which is a pain if you need to edit things).

Becky said:
But you can always convert to curves (which is a pain if you need to edit things).

Depending on the application you're using you can have it automatically convert type to outlines when you export. I know you can do it with InDesign, at least.

InDesignSecrets Blog Archive Converting Text to Outlines The Right Way

Pretty sure this can be done in Illustrator too, though I've never written enough copy in it to bother setting it up.

You can, but they cause so much pain, freebie fonts, we're always getting them sent in by customers at work, better to steer clear of them imo. Unless they're a bit more reputable i.e. font squirrel, myfonts

I've given up my search for Sentinel from H&FJ... it's like $200 which I seriously don't have... have searched online for 'free' places to get it and no joy yet... spent hours searching for it, so giving up! Need it in PC format too, which makes it harder

Back