Font for quotation marks?

Jazajay

Hi peeps, wondering if someone can give me a good font to use for quotation marks.

What I want is a pair of oversized quotation marks that bend at the bottom, cant find a good example to show you what I am after.

I want something like this

'1 in 5 children who use computer chatrooms has been approached over the internet by paedophiles'

However I want the quote to bend at the bottom, like an invered s if that makes sense. I can pull the whole effect off with CSS I just need a font that styles the quotes like that, any one got any solutions?

It is not a web safe font also a link to a downloadable .tff file, would be nice.

I know, I know I should ask for more from you, but I thought I would leave it at that simple request for the moment :D

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jaz

Sort of like the Wacko font but 1 reversed and 2 the bottom of the left one goes to the right and the bottom of the right 1 goes to the left.

Easy, I know. :)

Are spot on buddy, they even have the right one I'm looking for under the # symbol, humm..... bit of x-browser compatibility needed but it should be fine, cheers.

Honestly was not expecting a reply, so it is very much appreciated.

Any chance you could find it in the .eot format as well so I could display it x-browser,
I would be extremely impressed if you could.

I know, I know easy right, especially when your name is br3n. :D

Much appreciated.
Jaz

flattery will get you no-where - I dont really know enough about fonts to understand what your after so balls in your court. Sorry :)

Could you not use images anyway?

.eot is the format that internet explorer understands when you referance fonts via your CSS sheet, so for it to display in IE I need the .eot format of the same file/font.

That font is in .tff format, which is ok for Firefox, Opera 10 and Safari.

I disagree actually, flattery gets me every where TBH. :D
Cheers for the save though bud, much appreciated.

Jaz

Hi Jazajay - that's interesting to know do firefox and safari support .eof also what versions of IE will that work in?

Firefox, Safari and Opera 10 all support either .tff or .otf font formats.

IE only supports the .eof format unfortunatly.

All versions of IE since 5.5, as that is when it was implamented.

I haven't tested it in any IE browser at the mo, but IE8 may support, both, not sure, as I have done shed loads of work to day, I know, and haven't got round to checking it in IE yet.

To use it you need to declare it then referance the declared font.
So for example ~

@font-face{font-family:cairo;src:url('../fonts/Cairo.tff')}
#head span{font-family:cairo}

All span tags in the element with the id of head would display in the referanced in cairo font, regardless if the user has it on thier computer, or not.

It would be the same for IE but the .eof format would have to be included in a condtional comment to get round the precedance rule.

Jaz

Key:
Purple ~ CSS

Sorry Br3n.
Missed your question.

I could I suppose but if there is a CSS solution to styling text, IMO that is the way to go, seperation of your logic and all that.

I may do the image for IE though, unless I can find a .eof version of the font that is.

Jaz

Sorry I know absolutly nothing about HTML/CSS so it was more of an outsiders opinion - I sort of understand your above posts so you must have explained them well :)

I didn't know you could embed (if thats the correct term) a font which the end user doesnt have.

No that is fine mate, no need to appologize.

Yeah IE has supported it for years, we are now on IE8 well will be at the end of 09, and it was supported in 5.5.

The problem is there is no fonts that are in that format, well that I can find, so....

But yeah Firefox and Safari supported them this year I think, could be wrong, but until it was supported by all the main browsers I was not going to take it up.

Opera 10, will support it, that should be out of beta about May time, so good times ahead. But I still imagine a lot of people will do your solution due to the lack of .eot fonts.

Jaz

You are on fire today.

Yeah looks like that will do it, I'll bookmark it and give it a proper read though when I get round to IE.
But it does look like it will convert .tff fonts to the IE standard.

Arr wicked that means it can be displayed x-browser now.
Huh I didn't think at looking for a converter, nice catch, see outsider perspectives are worth it :)

Nice one,
One happy Jaz.

Sometimes it helps to be nieve/clueless I suppose... .if all else fails turn to google.

Hope it all works out for you!

hrrrm...

why not...(using the blockquote element) try this...

blockquote *:first-child:before { content: "\201C";font-size:2.4em;}
blockquote *:first-child:after { content: "\201D";font-size:2.0em}

you can define font Liberation Sans or Helvetica both look really nice with the above.

Yeah cheers for the suggestion, I could I suppose you are right however IE will be a tad stuck, humm...... I suppose I could stick it in a conditional I suppose.

I'll give it a listen in a screen reader and decide based on that.

Cheers for the suggesstion much appreciated.

Jaz

Jazajay said:
Firefox, Safari and Opera 10 all support either .tff or .otf font formats.

IE only supports the .eof format unfortunatly.

All versions of IE since 5.5, as that is when it was implamented.

I haven't tested it in any IE browser at the mo, but IE8 may support, both, not sure, as I have done shed loads of work to day, I know, and haven't got round to checking it in IE yet.

To use it you need to declare it then referance the declared font.
So for example ~

@font-face{font-family:cairo;src:url('../fonts/Cairo.tff')}
#head span{font-family:cairo}

All span tags in the element with the id of head would display in the referanced in cairo font, regardless if the user has it on thier computer, or not.

It would be the same for IE but the .eof format would have to be included in a condtional comment to get round the precedance rule.

Jaz

Key:
Purple ~ CSS
Sorry, does that mean you can use any font you want, as long as you attach it?

Yeah you just need the font in both .tff and .eot format, which Br3n gave us the link to a convert, spot on for that buddy :), reference the .tff format in the main css sheet, as above, then reference the .eot format 1 in a IE conditional comment and it should work fine then. :)

Jaz

Back